Home Guard or ARP uniform

bodvoc

Hi John,

Soldier of fortune is a company who sell repro kit, based in north wales.

www.1944airborne.com

british B/d is very similar to khaki devil ones,..........you pays your moneys and takes your choice. (I've a 40 patt blouse of there's and am quite happy with it, for reenacting purposes)

These spare raf uniforms, are they wwii vintage. ??

Glad to have been able to help, etc.

All the best,

Andy

These spare raf uniforms, are they wwii vintage. ??

Hi Andy,

Yep they are both dated 1942 and 1944. However they are very small size. The clothing patch on one of the jackets says, Size 4, Height 5'2"/ 5'4" Breast 28/30", waist 26/28", made by Benjamin Simons & Sons, Leeds (that's what it looks like anyway, it not clear) and there is an Arrow and stamped in ink JAN 1942. A label on the waistband of the trousers say Size 3, 24/28" seat 30/32", Leg 29. The other jacket just has a stamp mark on it, the date 1944 and also Size 4 can be seen but anything else is worn so you cannot read. They only just fit my mate’s son, an average build 18yr old.

One is a No.2 Dress Uniform, but other is a heavier wool/cotton like demin pilots BD and trousers with flying helmet & mask, gloves and 1941 Pattern Mae-west, and also a coverall/boiler suit and a sheepskin flying jacket. There is one pair of black Brogues and one pair of shin-high lined boots both size 6 &1/2. There is one side cap, one peeked cap 6 & 5/8, and one Dress Cap. All with rank, medal bar and unit insignia and even a bus ticket for 1s 3d for his journey home to Poole, dated 16th Feb 1944 was in the pocket!

The chap that gave them to us (a Flt Lt) was stationed at RAF Chickerell, Dorset. He was just 18 when he joined the RAF and served till his was retired off. We are Hoping to lend them to the local museum for permanent display, as even if they fitted, are really to good to be worn for the tours and should be preserved and seen by others.

Cheers

John

Hi Andy,

Yep they are both dated 1942 and 1944. However they are very small size. The clothing patch on one of the jackets says, Size 4, Height 5'2"/ 5'4" Breast 28/30", waist 26/28", made by Benjamin Simons & Sons, Leeds (that's what it looks like anyway, it not clear) and there is an Arrow and stamped in ink JAN 1942. A label on the waistband of the trousers say Size 3, 24/28" seat 30/32", Leg 29. The other jacket just has a stamp mark on it, the date 1944 and also Size 4 can be seen but anything else is worn so you cannot read. They only just fit my mate’s son, an average build 18yr old.

One is a No.2 Dress Uniform, but other is a heavier wool/cotton like demin pilots BD and trousers with flying helmet & mask, gloves and 1941 Pattern Mae-west, and also a coverall/boiler suit and a sheepskin flying jacket. There is one pair of black Brogues and one pair of shin-high lined boots both size 6 &1/2. There is one side cap, one peeked cap 6 & 5/8, and one Dress Cap. All with rank, medal bar and unit insignia and even a bus ticket for 1s 3d for his journey home to Poole, dated 16th Feb 1944 was in the pocket!

The chap that gave them to us (a Flt Lt) was stationed at RAF Chickerell, Dorset. He was just 18 when he joined the RAF and served till his was retired off. We are Hoping to lend them to the local museum for permanent display, as even if they fitted, are really to good to be worn for the tours and should be preserved and seen by others.

Cheers

John

Cheers for that John; Welcome to the joys of British wartime uniforms.......:-D the guyswere certainly of smaller statue then we are today,..........although looking at youngsters at the mo, I think we are of smaller statue to them,..........must be a modern age thing, I guess.

Must admit to having gone canadian with the two wartime b/dress I own, and was lucky enough to pick up just post war mess dress that fits, (if I leave off the pie's for a week before I want to wear it.........:-D:-D)

All the best

Andy

The guys were certainly of smaller statue then we are today,..........

Hi Andy,

Yeah you got it right there! I know I am a good build ('cos of going to the gym since I was 21yrs old), and both my sons are 6footers and have inherited my broad shoulders :D.

I can only seem to find Majors' uniforms to fit me :blush:, no matter what service or country lol . Must of been all that Port and Cheese after the 5 course dinners they had lol. Even if I starve for a month, I’ll still measure 22” across the shoulders :shocked:

SOF have some good repro and original stuff, trouble is I got to nearly £500 with my wish list and I think the wife would leave me if I spent that much (in one go) :-\ !

Been out today to an old RAF site in Hampshire, and found loads of stuff in 2nd hand shops, but oh-boy the prices were more like telephone numbers :-(. I am guessin the RAF uniforms are even more expensive and rare now.

As you can guess I am starting to panic now, cost and lead-time for repro Vs cost and availability of original stuff. So I am hitting every 2nd hand shop in a 40mile area. Did get some 1930s glasses, just have to get them re-glazed with my prescription and I have another bit of kit.

Cheers

John

I think for general wearability,John, repro is the way to go.

A its cheaper, esp to replace should the worst happen, and B origional is getting scarce,(as your finding)and expensive.

Hi Andy

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing, just have to drag up the dosh from somewhere to get it :cry:.

Just brought a lotto ticket lol you never know :saluting:

Cheers

John

[quote name=ajmac;226821You need the following items to complete the set:

Leather 37 Patt Belt* (*it's not called 37 Patt' date=' but I can't remember the year ATM)

Leather 37 Patt gaiters* dyed black

The belt was 1903 pattern plain leather. NOT the 1939 pattern leather belt with rear buckles as used in Dad's Army!

The leather anklets were issued brown and fine to use brown.

The belt was 1903 pattern plain leather. NOT the 1939 pattern leather belt with rear buckles as used in Dad's Army!

Thanks again guys,

Didn't win the Lotto, so it will be overtime for a few weeks to pay for it all :(

I am on the hunt now for a Tin Helmet, just waiting a few that are on Ebay and hoping that they won't go mad on the bidding :sweat:

Got pretty much all I need to start off the tours, as a badly equiped HG lol :blush:

Cheers for the advice, much needed and appreciated :thanx:

Cheers John

Anklets will soon go dark, once they start getting polished.

Dark-er yes, but the earlier post stated they should be dyed black. That isn't true and would be a pity to ruin an original pair of anklets. Dying repro is fine pf course should you wish to wear them black. Some did, some didn't.

I have original Leather equipment anklets (attached to the 1939 pattern set, often called Home Guard pattern) and they are a lovely polished mid brown shade.

Dark-er yes, but the earlier post stated they should be dyed black. That isn't true and would be a pity to ruin an original pair of anklets. Dying repro is fine pf course should you wish to wear them black. Some did, some didn't.

I have original Leather equipment anklets (attached to the 1939 pattern set, often called Home Guard pattern) and they are a lovely polished mid brown shade.

Same here,...........:D