Luc Court H4

Great War truck

At Beaulieu today was quite a complete (by my standards anyway) Luc Court H4 truck. The owner had a bit of information on it and said that it was an ex French Army WW1 truck. As the price was reasonable a friend has purchased it and is loading it up even as we speak. I have found some pictures of it which i will post in a moment. Does anybody know anything about Luc Court. I understand that they were better known for making large cars, but during WW1, 100 of them were converted to 1,500Kg truck of which this is one.

Tim

I dont know anything about Luc Court, but looking on the French Wiki and translating it into English gives us:

Short Luc, born on August 23, 1862 with Rives (Isere), died in 1942, is an industrial contractor and an inventor. Engineer of l' Central school of Lyon - promotion 1883 - it starts its career in the paper mill then founds in Lyon, in 1892, a company of electric machines. In 1898, it starts of the preliminary studies in automotive engineering and deposits several patents, in particular for the automobile transmissions and the shiftings of speed. In 1899, it markets its first car equipped d' an engine of 8 CV to 2 cylinders and d' a strange gear box with 5 reports/ratios, models which then created sensation by the rationality of its design. With the beginning of the year 1900, the mark Luc-Short s' successfully install on the emerging market of the French vehicles, strong d' a reputation of everlasting cars which comes to reinforce with the successes to the automobile competitions of the moment which are used as technological windows. In 1904, Luc Court invents a dismountable frame allowing to quickly replace the frame and the body d' a vehicle while preserving the same power unit placed at l' front. The mark, partisane in particular of the elastic wheels, realizes in 1907 a car of 12 CV which traverses successfully 12.000 km while being assembled on elastic wheels Jaboulay. In 1916, the models Luc-Short s' exhibit at the first Fair of Lyon while military lorries of the mark are engaged in the 1st world war. At the end of the First World War, Luc-Short develops a vehicle equipped d' a 4 cylinder motor, d' a power of 20 CV and d' a cubic capacity of 4.700 cm ³ which becomes - with the version 14 CV - the model manufactured of the mark. On December 13, 1921, it deposits its 24e patent relative to a “carburettor”, last official document known protecting its many automobile inventions spread out over 25 years d' innovation. In 1936 is produced, on order, the last private car of the mark - one 14 CV - while jusqu' continues; with the beginning of the year 1950 an production activity of trucks and d' engine gasoline bus and diesel. During the second world war, radically refusing to collaborate in the industrial production bound for the German armies, Luc Court leaves his factory to l' abandonment and dies in 1942 with l' 80 years age. As inventor, it leaves then with l' car a technological heritage d' exception: step back, the detachable frame, the box at five speeds, the valves d' admission and d' exhaust superimposed and l' improvement of the diesel engine.

I saw the Luc Court at Beaulieu and thought 'What on earth is one of those ?' Little did I know that HMVF would provide the answer ! Beaulieu is a day of complete total sensory overload (and very dirty hands !)

By the way, I'm glad that this section is so active of late as the ordinary 'British Vehicles' one has become ever-so post war and the industrial archaeologist in me finds it difficult to become too excited about objects produced during my own lifetime.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...