DVLA Request for info

Hi, I've just purchased and am registering in my name a Ferret MK 1/2 VIN 3719 6 65.

DVLA have written to ask for confirmation - taken from the vehicle, not the V5 - of VIN and weight.

VIN I am sending aphot of the stamp, the plate has long gone.

For the weight it asks for proof based on any of:

a) Plating

b) A copy of the certificate of conformity or submac ?? (it says submac = Subsequent Minister Approval Certificate issued by manufacturer

c) Manufacturers confirmation of maximum design weight in UK

d) Design Weight Certificate

e) For mobile carnes ... clearly not applicable)

The only weight indicators I have are general consensus ie looking for posts on HMVF. 'In Military Service' the book on the Rolls Royce B series which has a section on the Ferret, a couple of photocopied sheets which llok official giving the weights for each Ferret variant.

V5 has 3,200 Kg other spec has 3,600 or 3,550 Kg

Has anybody been through this process and what did DVLA accept - without necessarily going to a weighbridge.

Also, why are they asking me to go through this when I am the 5th owner ??

I will anyway phone DVLA and ask what they might accept and report back.

Simon

Hi, I've just purchased and am registering in my name a Ferret MK 1/2 VIN 3719 6 65.

DVLA have written to ask for confirmation - taken from the vehicle, not the V5 - of VIN and weight.

VIN I am sending aphot of the stamp, the plate has long gone.

For the weight it asks for proof based on any of:

a) Plating

b) A copy of the certificate of conformity or submac ?? (it says submac = Subsequent Minister Approval Certificate issued by manufacturer

c) Manufacturers confirmation of maximum design weight in UK

d) Design Weight Certificate

e) For mobile carnes ... clearly not applicable)

The only weight indicators I have are general consensus ie looking for posts on HMVF. 'In Military Service' the book on the Rolls Royce B series which has a section on the Ferret, a couple of photocopied sheets which llok official giving the weights for each Ferret variant.

V5 has 3,200 Kg other spec has 3,600 or 3,550 Kg

Has anybody been through this process and what did DVLA accept - without necessarily going to a weighbridge.

Also, why are they asking me to go through this when I am the 5th owner ??

I will anyway phone DVLA and ask what they might accept and report back.

Simon

Whats on the V5 at the moment do you still have part of the V5?

The vin or hull number suggests that you’re Ferret was built in 1965 (no V112G MOT exemption for you)

Unladen 3683 kg, Laden 4394 kg

Info taken from page 18 of the 1969 User Manual pic attached.

Go to the council weigh bridge pay £10 pounds or so for the certificate of them, the DVLA will except that as proof of weight.

Its odd that they are now asking for the weight and VIN / Hull number given that you are the fifth owner. The build date 1965 might be the reason that they are asking for this info

Thanks for this. I had that page copy already but didn't know its origin, useful being able to state where it comes from.

I'll see where we go with this. MOT shouldn't be a problem as our local garage is used to older vehicles and all looks good on the Ferret. Apart from.. fluid flywheel, but that's another story.

just to confirm a 1965 ferret is currently mot exempt classed as a motor tractor, mot exempt fact, see long running thread on this for more info.

I stand corrected on that one but I wouldn't trust the DVLA to give a consistent answer. It helps to have it in black and white

vosa at the moment regard 1964 ferret as a motor tractor there fore mot exempt, have letter dated end of dec2009 that states as much, that aforementioned letter also mentions this consultation that is going on at the moment, hence me starting this thread. paul.:cool2:
Edited by ferrettkitt

we've got a MK1 ferret, when we put her on a weighbridge she was 3660 kg with a quarter tank of fuel and bren on. And for all anoraks out there each inflated tyre on a rim is 75 kg. here ends useless information! regards lewis

Wouldn't fancy changing a run flat tyre on my own and the thought of getting the spare off and replacing it with the flat one..... I like my back

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I started this thread on the 12th, replied to the DVLA on the 13th with all the information they could ask for and its now 1st October and my tax disc has expired !

But, (having checked on the 30th and the 29th .. ) talk about keeping you on edge. I checked online again, tried to register for a new disk and yes, it worked!

I'm legal

So, well done DVLA, its just a I could have done without the stress.

Edited by simonm