From the plains tour.

Whilst on the plains tour we visited the museum of army flying. I saw some artefacts and a write up on a zeppelin that crashed during ww1 at great burstead, south green, billericay, essex.

The german airmen were buried in south green cemetary which is very close to where I live and this stoked my interest.

When I got home I did a bit of research and found this;

http://www.northernmemories.co.uk/Cannock/Cannock.htm

Hi,

last year through another forum i was contacted by a Dutch fellow who with along with some medals had brought a rather battered Luftwffe pilots peaked cap, not being into head gear he put away. some years later on looking carefully at the hat discovered a strip of paper with a guys name on and unit. reserch showed he was killed during a raid on Bristol and shot down near Wareham and buried locally.

To cut a long story short i was able to photograph the pilots headstone along with the rest of his crew and mail it to him putting a name to a cap and some medals.

It is surprising how this hobby can send you in different tangents and intrest some of which you may have never previously considered.

Ashley