Coe Hill, Ontario, Canada

The above wrecker is an HLVW (heavy logistics vehicle wheeled) which is the current standard wrecker in the Forces but is supplemented in Afghanistan by some bigger more protected vehciles of other makes. It has a knuckle boom Pitman crane with a max load of 3500kg at its max reach shown. Some of these have been extended in the chassis as the steering is light when lifting the LAV 3 on the stinger.

This example comes from the EME school at Borden just north of Toronto ad the guys who brought it are volunteers for the duty. These will be in service for many yeas to come yet.

R

This is my mate Brad's 1969 Cadillac Gage V100 Commando as used in Vietnam and is the Air Force version and mounts a number of 30 and 50 cal machine guns around the opening at the centre of the vehicle. 5 speed manual gearbox with optional 4wd powered by a 361 Chrysler petrol engine. Very roomy inside and a delight to drive.

R

various MV 102.jpg

various MV 103.jpg

various MV 101.jpg

These vehicles belong to the Ontario Regiment Museum but are not controlled by the Canadian Forces as happens to some of the other vehicles in the Regimental collection.

The first is their Sherman named Bart, a frequent exhibit at many shows.

The next is a Sheridan and a Chaffee side by side with an Abbot in the background.

The next two are M113s actually of US military service origins and not CF ones although they are painted up in a CF type way.

R

various MV 105.jpg

various MV 106.jpg

various MV 107.jpg

various MV 108.jpg

The above wrecker is an HLVW (heavy logistics vehicle wheeled) which is the current standard wrecker in the Forces but is supplemented in Afghanistan by some bigger more protected vehciles of other makes. It has a knuckle boom Pitman crane with a max load of 3500kg at its max reach shown. Some of these have been extended in the chassis as the steering is light when lifting the LAV 3 on the stinger.

This example comes from the EME school at Borden just north of Toronto ad the guys who brought it are volunteers for the duty. These will be in service for many yeas to come yet.

R

Couple of questions can the winch mid way down right hand side leg used for self front recovery be used straight out the back if so it would tick all the boxes for me i think biggest failing with most ex mod vehicles is only one winch to rear

the cab looks like Styer of Austria is that who builds them. If so i think Britsh AreoSpace are tied in somewhere with their manfacture

the recovery equpment looks like some also built in austria by a company called something like Emphal you dont know whos design it is do you

Dear Cosrec,

This truck design is as your correctly identified a Steyr. They were licence built in Canada a good number of years ago at the then UTDC factory in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Once the contract was completed the line was torn apart and that ended production. It was a stipulation they they be built here as part of the contract.

The mid mounted winch does indeed pay out forward or to the rear for just about every recovery situation.

The stinger i'm afraid I do not know any makers names on.

They will be around for a good number of years to come.

Robin

Thanks for info. If its Styer design like you say they will be good for years to come.

By the way green with envy who ever owns that power wagon what a bonny truck love to think when i retire i could nip up to paper shop in one like it. I actually delivered one about three months ago on behalf of a dealer to its new owner it was pre war (1936 ??) and had exactly the same body on i think they look better than the heavy wider bodied models that came later

regards Steve

Edited by cosrec

The one vehicle that I have not shown so far is the C15 TA now owned by Barry Churcher. This vehicle was bought by Barry from Dirk Lerjwater in Holland recently and this is the first time it has been shown in Canada.

The body was built by the Hamilton Bridge Company and on the way to the event they drove over a bridge made by the same company.

R

C15ta-2.jpg

C15TA.jpg