WW2 Trucks with Flathead V8

ajmac

Guys,

I think I've asked before, but the thread died before much detail was added.

Which British soft skin vehicles used the Ford Flathead V8 and Ford Torque tube driven rear axle?

I was looking at a ford truck (Thames?) last week but I don't know what type it was, nor did the owner. It had a Flathead, ford gearbox and ford rear axle, although I don't think it had a torque tube, it was difficult to see for sure.

I am putting together a parts interchangability list for my Loyd Carrier and I need to know what vehicles shared the parts. I've been told a ford WOT3, however when I saw a WOT6 chassis many of the parts looked familiar. I'll freely admit to good working knowledge of many things.....WW2 British soft skin vehicles is NOT one of them, but I'm trying to change that:). Would anyone recommend a good book concerning the WOTs? Oh, and is WOT a term used to cover vehicles manufactured by various different companies, or just ford?

Edited by ajmac

hi alastair

i've got a wot6 that i bought mainly for the engine to use in my carrier as you know, the engine and box are the same as the carrier but the rad is different and it doesn't have a torque tube, can i ask where you saw the other wot6 you mentioned as i could do with a look around one to see how to put mine back together.

cheers

eddy

can i ask where you saw the other wot6

Only in a photo Eddy, sorry. The Thames* was late 1940s I think, it had a large dash plate in the centre of the dash in which all the instruments mounted.

*Had a look at some 1949 Thames photos and they ring a bell with the one I saw last week.

hi alastair

i've got a wot6 that i bought mainly for the engine to use in my carrier as you know, the engine and box are the same as the carrier but the rad is different and it doesn't have a torque tube, can i ask where you saw the other wot6 you mentioned as i could do with a look around one to see how to put mine back together.

cheers

eddy

I am looking at a WOT6 Maintenance manual and it shows a Torque tube on the rear axle only. Manual dated March 1945.

thanks i hadn't noticed when i bought it that it had a torque tube and to be honest i was more interested in loading the engines and heading back to manchester from ramsgate which is where the truck is still waiting for me to collect it, when i get it back up north i'll start a resto thread on it but i might get it running and just sell it on, we'll see

all the best

eddy