Bedford MJ Load Bed weight?

Herne23Hunter

Greetings

Please can anyone tell me what weight the load bed is on the Bedford MJ? I'm on the verge of getting one to change into a camper and thought a lighter alloy load bed may save fuel and free weight up for other items.

Also I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed a third seat in the cab.

And third, has anyone fitted a hinge so you can tilt the cab for engine access?

Thanks for any help.

Jam

i would asume as they where called 4 tonne bedfords the load would be 4t, as for fitting it for a camper we used to have one as a fitter truck before the SV fleet came along. ours had alot of isulation, four beds ( 2 bunkbeds) kero heater full work bench, and a double cabinet set up, ontop of all that we had five or six full toolboxes, 2 tiffy boxes, various other stte, kit for a minimum of four people for a month, expense alot of it, P.O.L various, cooker,tv etc so weight should not be a problem.

at the end of the bed we had an aluminium sheet covering the back with a sliding door to allow entry, the tail gate was always hung off the chains to allow for extra space and a set of steps allowed us to climb up the back.

unless im mistaken the cab has a single drivers and a double crew seat as thats whats in my mk

and if you get a radio body mj then fitting it out as a camper would be easy as a lot of travellers use this type as a mobile home or put a caravan inside the rear body of a dropside

unless im mistaken the cab has a single drivers and a double crew seat as thats whats in my mk

and if you get a radio body mj then fitting it out as a camper would be easy as a lot of travellers use this type as a mobile home or put a caravan inside the rear body of a dropside

Would those be the Legal type of travellers?

Also I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed a third seat in the cab.

And third, has anyone fitted a hinge so you can tilt the cab for engine access?

Hi Jam,

The TK Bedford, had a double passenger seat, so you could change the single without too much trouble. Only difference in cabs between a TK and a MK/MJ is that a large panel between the seats can be removed to access top of engine, water pump, rad, etc on MK/MJ, not so on a TK, so remember this when fitting a bench seat.

As for having a tilt cab.......too much problems to convert, you have steering column, pedals, transfer box control levers, etc., would take a bit more than just fitting hinge pivots. With the aforementioned removable panel, removing a cylinder head is not too bad a job. We managed for years on these Bedfords without tilting cabs :-D

Long time ago i went to a furniture removal TK on M62 to tow it to local Bedford agent. On arrival driver had virtually emtied front portion of body and lifted the front panel and floor that went over cab. The cab had been tilted and the driver was expecting me to fit a water pump. The cab was raised with the standard screw jack which was stood on what looked like a proper manufactuers bracket riveted to the N/S chassis rail and pressed against a bracket on the underneath of the cab. The brake and clutch pedals had been removed by undoing pinch bolts. From what i could see the only non standard parts where a U/J replacing fabric disc coupling on steering coloumn and two hinges where standard cab mounts supposed to be at front. Forman at dealers told me it was a factory option from new but nobody would pay the extra £16 for it

Interesting info. Food for thought. Thanks for the posts.

I was also wondering if u could improve fuel efficiency by a combination of weight saving ( hence the question over a lighter alloy load bed) and engine improvements. I've heard there are some 8ltr engines in some models and that some have fitted a 6 speed Bedford bus gearbox. Anyone have direct experience of these making much improvement?

Would sticking an intercooler on the turbo boost performance significantly?