Great Dorset Steam Fair

croc

Looking at the weather forecast's it looks like it is going to clear up on Friday and then we could well be in for a dry spell. With plenty of experience of Dorset if we can get a good day of dry weather then the ground usually firms up again. Lets hope so anyway!

Looking out of the window at the moment it is hard to imagine that this will happen, but fingers crossed! If it does dry up, it could be a good one since I doubt it will be too dusty.

It is certainly good to seen the preparations well under way - the site is a hive of activity at the moment and the marquees are now up.

From experience in the digger field, there is only about a foot of topsoil before you hit chalk. The rain doesn't stop when it hits the ground it just slows down a bit. Even after heavy rain it only needs a few hours to dry out.

Just had to drive to Salisbury and back from Blandford - there's a lot of traffic starting to build up on the A350 for the fair, and all the usual roadside laybay/junction campsites are well occupied. Anyone heading in from the south be advised that there were temporary lights just being put up in Pimperne (between the site and the Blandford bypass) for a burst watermain - hopefully they will fix it quick and get rid of the lights before the bulk of the traffic.

Coming south from Salisbury I passed a Constructor and Milly running in convoy heading for the fair, no doubt members of this forum. Very nice looking vehicles both, and thanks guys for pulling in to let the traffic past, it was much appreciated! Apart from anything else, it let me see what was at the front of the queue.

Main site is now really busy even though I don't think they're letting anyone imn until tomorrow.

Well we have had a bit of set-back over the past few hours. Went to have the towbar fixed on the Gipsy and then notcied that there was petrol leaking from the tank. Turns out that the tank is cracked meaning that the Gipsy will not be making the trip to Dorset this year :(.

We shall still be coming down though (albeit without the Gipsy), so still hope to see some of you around.

It seems that we have a curse hanging over us though when it comes to things going wrong before Dorset, as two years ago the water pump went the day before we due to set off for the show and now this happens!

Edited by Smithy