Tiger Tank, is this an optical illusion?

Antony

After attending A&E, Roy and I visited the Tank Museum at Bovingdon on the Monday morning, the highlight for me was to see the Tiger 1. I had seen and photographed the Tiger at Vimoutiers five years ago, which is a later type than the one at Bovingdon, the main difference being the different type of road wheels. I was recently looking at the photographs of the Vimoutiers Tiger, and the track links appear to be deeper on the section under the road wheels, but I can find no mention of this in any books or the internet, knowing the German thoroughness for detail I find it surprising. I know the photograph is not very good quality, so I am wondering if it is an optical illusion. I would welcome comments from anyone with better Tiger knowledge than me!

IMG_0012.jpg

I think it's an optical illusion too There are a couple of Bundesarchive photos that show a similar shadow cast on tanks with steel rimmed wheels

Additionally the Vimoutiers Tiger has lost a lot of steel to rust over the years which could exagerate the effect but the nature of the resilient steel wheel would be to make a wear pattern as a mirror image to that apparent in your photo.

tiger 1.jpg

tiger 1 photo2.jpg

Definately an obstacle galusion..... I have a Tiger 1 track link here, I can prove it!

Oh and its Bovington....... Bovingdon is north of London and is where they filmed The War Lover and 633 Squadron when it used to have an airfield. Pedant mode off!

Quite right to correct, I once spoke to a truck driver in Stockport who asked for directions for Reddish, which is about 2 miles from Stockport town centre. On checking the address on his delivery note I noticed it said Redditch, he had only driven 100 miles past his intended destination ! (PRE SAT NAV DAYS)

Thanks, Stormin, Steveo and Adrian, I agree it is likely to be an obstacle galusion, but perhaps I was not clear in my reasoning for the possibility of a change of thickness in the links. I knew the links were all the same thickness on the rubber rimmed road wheel models, and yes I have seen your link Adrian, but I wondered if they changed the links with the introduction of the steel rimmed wheels. There were 'only' sixteen on each side as opposed to twenty four of the rubber rimmed wheels on each side, unbelievable really when a Centurian has only twelve per side.

Oh Bovver I got my Bovvies mixed up!