Info on Airportable GMC tippers

mullvane

Hi all, could someone on here tell me the amount of airportable GMC tippers that were produced and when (as others have told me either '43 or '45), as i have looked on the GMC production thread, am i right in thinking that the airportable tippers would have been produced sometime from Nov '44-May '45??

Jack

There was an article on airborne GMCs in Wheels and Tracks magazine #22.

Engineering work is said to have started on the project in September 1943 with a prototype conversion kit being delivered in February 1944. Over 7,250 examples were made: 3,880 lwb cargo; 2,497 lwb cargo with winch; 475 lwb cargo/dump; plus over 400 swb types.

It should be noted that most Air-portable GMC's were converted from standard production vehicles.

Several contractors were involved in this program including Ford Motor Co. at their Richmond, CA plant.

I have a series of GMC factory photos showing all the steps in the conversion of a production CCKW into an Air-portable vehicle.

I would have to check my copies of the Ordnance Production/Delivery records to determine if any were produced by GMC at the factory.

It should be noted that most Air-portable GMC's were converted from standard production vehicles.

Several contractors were involved in this program including Ford Motor Co. at their Richmond, CA plant.

I have a series of GMC factory photos showing all the steps in the conversion of a production CCKW into an Air-portable vehicle.

I would have to check my copies of the Ordnance Production/Delivery records to determine if any were produced by GMC at the factory.

Any chance of posting the factory pictures of the CCKW conversion to airportables?

Regards