MB jeep copper brake pipes.

Rick W

Question

The small copper brake pipes that run between the flexys and the back of the wheel cylinders. Is there a knack to fit them/bend them/ shape them? As no matter what i try, they always seem to kink, hence pipes no good. Any suggestions?

3 answers to this question

The small copper brake pipes that run between the flexys and the back of the wheel cylinders. Is there a knack to fit them/bend them/ shape them? As no matter what i try, they always seem to kink, hence pipes no good. Any suggestions?

Rick,

I could not make them as my pipe bender will not bend close up to the nut. Easiest solution is to buy them ready made from a jeep parts supplier......commonly known as "pigtails". It is cheaper that way, saves time!

There is a knack to it.

It is almost impossible to make them small enough, so what you have to do is;

1. strip the backplate to the point where you can take the brake cylinder off,

2. fit the copper line to the hose end, in place, and tighten it,

3. screw the cylinder to the copper pipe end while it is sticking through the hole in the backplate and tighten till you have a solid pressure path,

4. push the cylinder back almost into place and then draw it up with the cylinder mounting bolts.

5. reassemble shoes, springs, etc

Sounds complicated, isn't, works well. Of course the pipe has to be almost the right shape before you start of drawing it up will kink it past using, but once it is fitted the first time you can then generally remove and refit as it has been exactly the right shape once.

Gordon

been there, done that, sold the teeshirt

Edited by Gordon_M
clarity