An' it's Called a Tam-o'-shanter - Kenneth J. West

Joris

This book was given to me by an Arnhem veteran from the 4th Dorset who was my guest at home during the 60th Market Garden commemorations. He calls it the best book on the life of a soldier in WWII.

The book is the story of the author in the 43rd Wessex div as he fights his way from Normandy to Arnhem and beyond.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0951315404/026-8946969-0182838?v=glance&n=266239&s=books&v=glance

On your recommendation Joris I've just ordered a copy, incidentally 'From the City From the Plough' by Alexander Baron was also about the 43rd Wessex and although published as a novel it is actually factual.

:tup: You'll love it!

Please pardon my ignorance, from the moment I've posted that the author was part of the 43rd Wessex I had a nagging feeling that I was wrong and I was. He was in the 49th West Riding as a member of the Royal Scots Fusiliers. Sorry about that :blush:

I have the memoires of a 43rd Wessex recce (A3).

He tried to get it published but didn't succeed as the publisher needed a guarantee he'd sell a whooooole lot of them.

A shame really because its well written with lots of funny anecdotes and detailed info and easy to read.

Unfortunately he passed away last year. (Fred, rest in peace).

I also have a brief memoires of another 43rd recce (A4) in a word document.

He is still alive and consider(ed) both men as close friends even though I never met them in person.

Received the book today, I was lucky enough to find a signed copy dedicated

'To George, The best mate I had in the Army' it will be treasured and along with the rest of my book collection go to a suitable home when I go to join my betters.

I got it via Amazon, although they had copies a better deal was being offered by another bookshop via Amazon. It has arrived but as yet I have not had time to settle down to read it and am so busy at the moment that it looks like it might be some time before I get round to it.