Colour Photo of Dunkirk in 1940?

Larry Hayward

I saw this photo in the papertoday and it really fooled me for a second. Its not Dunkirk in 1940 but Redcar seafront in 2006, where filming has been done for a new film called Atonement.

For once the props team have really studied their subject and have re-created the look of all those abandoned CS8's - though I am not sure the vehicle numbers on the body are correct for 1940. Can anyone say for sure?

I am reliably informed no real Morris Commercial CS8's were hurt during the filming!

NB - Click on the photo to enlarge

[attachment deleted by admin]

• 2 weeks later...

Have loads of photos of the filmset (which was in my hometown) and intend to post these on the web this weekend - any recommendations as to which site I should upload to?

In the meantime check out thesephotos of theextras on the set - especially the 3.7 AA gun (sorry not many vehicles in these)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.lochrie/atonement4.html

Re Dunkirk Photo,

I was an extra on the set for the 3 days at Redcar. And although the days were long with a lot of waiting about,(you have to realise, we were really just props, like the vehicles) I found it a great experience & great fun.

The majority of the vehicles on the beach were mock ups, But really well done, some were in the sea & some ended up on fire. On the promenade, there were some mockups mixed in with real vehicles. All were dirty to match the event.

Apparently some of the mock ups were saved & others went into the furnace at the local steel works

Some of the vehicles on the beach were real & given a coat of dirt etc. I was able to view the beach in all its glory & it really did look like the library pictures of Dunkirk.

I spent day 2 of the filming in the back of a Matador with 7 others, being driven onto the beach & jumping off the back, whilst the main actors did their bit close by.

If you watch the film, I'm dressed as a British soldier, along with about 6-700 others!!