Hello from wet and windy west yorkshire - Diamond T info wanted

Hello to All

Just a quick intro my name is Chris and I found this site while doing some searching on the web for pictures and info on Diamond Ts.

I learned to drive Diamond Ts even before my feet could reach the pedals sitting on my grandfather’s knee. Spent most of my school summer holidays scraping rusting and painting just for the chance of going out on a job with my father or uncle in the family heavy recovery business.

Earliest memories are being rocked to sleep on the engine cover of a Leyland Comet, best sleep I have ever had. Also got lot of spanner time on a desert cab QL mostly covered in petrol from over flowing carbs and burned from overheating engines.

I was kindly nudged to take up electronics and software rather than mechanics by my father who left the family business, 15 or 20 years ago now.

Now well on my way towards my first mid life crisis I am trying to find out a bit more about the practicalities of owning a T and the thrill of driving one again. Not sure how practical this idea is as, I no longer have any connections with the motor trade and limited resources and storage could be a problem. For some reason diesel fuel must run in blood and they all say at work I am a frustrated mechanical engineer.

I currently live in West Yorkshire and would be interested in hearing from anyone locally who I could assist with maintenance on a historic vehicle and learn the ropes again or maybe just be a passenger. Happy to assist with fuel cost etc.

My other hobbies include restoring second world war radio equipment and I am a also a radio amateur. I have built a few kit cars and have some experience of Mig and Tig welding and machining. Have restored a few old machines such as large shaper and lathes. Also owned and rebuilt about 6 land rovers over the years and a few MGBs.

Regards Chris

Hello Ken and Thanks for reply

I live in Penistone near Barnsley. Yes would love to see your 969A and a ride would be great, if you can get the petrol engine started (Only Joking).

My dad replaced the petrol engines with I think with RR C6 engines because we could never get the petrol engines started. Break down call outs are always on cold winter nights and batteries were always flat from memory and difficult to crank. Not been near a T for over 20 years now so memory not what it was. Remember my ears would ring and you could still hear the engine running in your head for days after a long trip. (All trips were long at 25Mph)

Where are you based ken.:cool2:

Chris

Just remembered one of the last outing I had as a kid was moving worlds second largest portable crane from a job in manchester to liverpool dock. The cranes driving engine had failed but it had a seperate engine running the crane.

I think from memory we started off with both Ts doubled headed, but one broke down and the other finished the job. Apart from that we spent most of our time recovering run away tippers loaded with stone from Buxton.

Chris

They make a lovely noise when they fire up. Had some fuel and battery/charging problems with mine over the years, but she is OK at the moment.

The vehicles are based near Boroughbridge, but all the runners will be outside Leeds Town Hall on veterans Sunday (27th June) and then at the Ponderosa event in Heckmwondike 8th/9th July. They are actually parking up at the 'reserve shed' in Morley 27th June - 7th July so if you want a run out, that might be the easiest spot.

It gets hot in that closed cab on a warm day.

Ken

Regarding Photos I dont think I have anything now sadly and found most of the pictures of our old trucks on this site. I do have a copy of the article when truck magazine did an article on the company that could be scanned but not sure about copy right issues.

Chris