CVR(W) more problems

robin craig

So, after all the b/s we have endured the Fox is still out of service.

Last week we got the vehicle buttoned back up ready to be part of the OPFOR for an execise. It started up fairly easily although numerous cranking attempts (15 seconds per go) seem to heat the starter and cause it too bind and not function.

Anyhow, she started and I took it for a test drive on the property and after about 800 metres went up a slope to turn around, in doing so it spluttered and died. Once I had rolled it back to the flat again it did fire again but only lasted for about 3 minutes.

We towed it back to the shop and presuming it was low fuel added 60 litres. We cranked it over a number of times but it really felt like no fuel.

Anyway, we tucked it back into the shop as other tasks had to get done. Later that night i did roll it over again but again no luck and now the batteries are getting a bit weak so it is going to have to be slaved.

Im thinking that a low fuel state and the slope slopped any crud in the tank around and the fuel filter is likely plugged. So in the next few days we will pull that off and check it and then go again and prove fuel at the carb.

Troublesome vehicle

R

Robin,

Check that it's not sucking in air at the filter or change over tap. Lee knows all about fuel problems on Foxes, he had to modify his pickup tube... I'm sure he'll post more details.

Chris

Well,

Lee thats a brilliant answer and I have printed it off to put in the shop.

Sadly, as hay season is fast approaching and we need to do repairs on our hay barn the Fox will just have to be put aside until time or manpower allows.

Likely 2 week s or more for that.

R

Well,

Lee thats a brilliant answer and I have printed it off to put in the shop.

Sadly, as hay season is fast approaching and we need to do repairs on our hay barn the Fox will just have to be put aside until time or manpower allows.

Likely 2 week s or more for that.

R

yep cured the problem completely... just to make things clearer I no longer have a change over tap as only running on main tank & I have replaced the petrol filter with a disposable in-line Jaguar XK filter, also replaced the existing hard fuel lined with braided lines. Replaced all of this so there was less chance of sucking in air elsewhere at a later date.. Also fitted a new Facet solid state pump (40164) http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/facet-solid-state-pump-industrial-24v-401644015140194-22-p.asp

yep cured the problem completely... just to make things clearer I no longer have a change over tap as only running on main tank & I have replaced the petrol filter with a disposable in-line Jaguar XK filter, also replaced the existing hard fuel lined with braided lines. Replaced all of this so there was less chance of sucking in air elsewhere at a later date.. Also fitted a new Facet solid state pump (40164) http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/facet-solid-state-pump-industrial-24v-401644015140194-22-p.asp

lee how long have you been using the facet pump are they reliable...do you carry a spare just in case...how did you work out which one to buy...ie flow rate etc...I am thinking of using these throughout my vehicle range as the mechanical pumps on old trucks seem to be the bane of my life...( except on the stolly's which have never given me any trouble...