WC54 starting troubles

Probably an easy one but I have put a new battery on our WC54 after inadvertantly leaving the blackout lights on :blush: and now the motor turns over, we have a good spark from the plugs and recent fuel in the tank and it will not fire, any ideas? I'm stumped and don't want to kill the new battery already!

Are you getting fuel to the carb ?

easy way to check is after turning engine over a few times

take a plug out and check if it is wet

if not take top of air cleaner off and pour half a cup of petrol down the intake

small cup I might add if it fires or tries to start it is a fuel problem

Commander

Thanks for the advice, fuel was getting to the cab by hand pump so put half a cup of fuel in the carb and off she went, why does unleaded go off so fast?

Cheers Commander now just the jeep to sort out over the weekend, its all fun :D

Thanks for the advice, fuel was getting to the cab by hand pump so put half a cup of fuel in the carb and off she went, why does unleaded go off so fast?

Cheers Commander now just the jeep to sort out over the weekend, its all fun :D

If your's is six volt, I know the feeling! My twelve volt WC51 has a Jolley electronic ignition. Never a problem with her1 She started quite happily on eight month old French petrol!

Yep original 6 volt system why oh why did dodge make 51/52's 12v and 54's 6v. We've had starting issues with our uncle's GPW all last year which we are hoping will be cured by a new battery as well, but we converted that to 12 volts when we rebuilt her from burnt out.

I've learnt something new I had always believed they were all 12 volts just shows everyday's a school day. Thankyou for all your help I think I'd better start cleaning all the connections up, what is best for reprotecting the electrical connections I have access to various water dispelling sprays like LPS3 or AV25 through work.