chirchill tank

mogmaner

You would think that owning a piece of WW2 History with the intention to restore it would be something to be proud of and chat about, it always surprises me how 'quite' the major collectors are about what they are doing... as if it is on the wrong side of the law. I was very surprised (and happy) that Adrian with the M10 was so forward thinking in allowing the restotation to be detailed. But back to the Churchill; it will pop up restored one day then go back to ground again as most other WW2 Armour does:-\

Edited by ajmac

But back to the Churchill; it will pop up restored one day then go back to ground again as most other WW2 Armour does:-\

Don't be so sure. Nigel is restoring three Churchills, all to a very high standard. They will be seen out and about I'm sure.

He served in tanks and is an enthusiast.

Don't be so sure. Nigel is restoring three Churchills, all to a very high standard. They will be seen out and about I'm sure.

He served in tanks and is an enthusiast.

Spot on:D Ask him to join HMVF if he isn't already.

i wondered who it was that was restoring the three churchills !!!

i believe the trouble with ww2 armour is the exponential increase in value that has happened in the last few years which i believe is both good and bad for the hobby, good because previous wrecks fit only for the scrapper now seem like prized gems and are now economically viable and bad because it's pricing out the true core of the hobby, the greasy enthusiasts. to be replaced by the men with money and that means it's run as a business which in turn might lead to people forgetting why ww2 kit is so valuable in the first place. it's because of the sacrifices made by the men of the last world war, it's in honour of their memory that many get into the hobby to begin with, i know i did.

it's not all bad though,men will come and go but that armour will last an awfully long time once it's restored.

eddy

i believe the trouble with ww2 armour is the exponential increase in value that has happened in the last few years which i believe is both good and bad for the hobby, good because previous wrecks fit only for the scrapper now seem like prized gems and are now economically viable and bad because it's pricing out the true core of the hobby, the greasy enthusiasts. to be replaced by the men with money and that means it's run as a business which in turn might lead to people forgetting why ww2 kit is so valuable in the first place. it's because of the sacrifices made by the men of the last world war, it's in honour of their memory that many get into the hobby to begin with, i know i did.

it's not all bad though,men will come and go but that armour will last an awfully long time once it's restored.

I have to agree, there was a thread a while ago discussing it in detail. Having only re-engaged with the hobby in 2008 after a decade away I was shocked what had happened to armour prices. However although the prices have risen, the number of restored vehicles was a shock too, when I drifted away to classic cars there were only a couple of Grizzlies, Sextons and Stuarts at the shows... So good and bad news.

The thing is though Eddy, when tank wrecks were easy to obtain and cheap, where were the ''true core of the hobby, the greasy enthusiasts'' then? They weren't buying them, they were buying Jeeps for 6 to 7 times the price.

A large part of the increased demand is, I'm sure, due to the increased values. One drives the other. The value is in no way a reflection of the sacrifices made by soldiers, that would be priceless, it's simply down to collectors saying to themselves 'I must have it!'

you're probably right adrian, i think i might be guilty of over romanticizing the greasy enthusiasts and as you know i'm no old sweat when it comes to the hobby it's just that one story i read in the windscreen magazine has inspired me but the difference between then and now is striking, it was about the recovery of a sherman barrv from pounds yard by 3 guys armed only with a few tools, a new battery and a bit of cash, to me it was the ideal way to go about it,a few mates having a go at it, they got it going and shifted in a couple of days then cleaned and painted it battleship grey because that was the paint colour that was going cheap at the yard (i think it's still that colour now) and if i remember right they did it all in a month in time for a show, that's the kind of thing that i had envisaged when i started looking for range wrecks to recover. trouble is us "guys" are still out there but the opportunities aren't because tanks are so valuable now there's no fixer uppers in any yards.

don't take this post as a moan, merely an observation, i bet those guys with the jeeps wished they would have bought 6 or 7 grizzlies instead.

eddy

I didn't think of it as a moan Eddy, I just like to put a different view forwards sometimes....:evil:

The BARV you mentioned is a good case in point. It was the D Day Museum who funded it, Ian Miller and friends did the work. It was by no stretch of the imagination a restoration but was possible because of the relatively good condition of the vehicle.

These things are a finite quantity though and there are fewer vehicles to find like that, regardless of the size of your wallet!

The Grizzlies were never a problem to sell, it was the range or scrapyard wrecks that could have been had but with a few exceptions, nobody wanted. Many went for scrap.

Hindsight.....

i was just thinking , damn ! it would have been nice to have been on the scene in the eighties and nineties, but do you know what those guys from the eighties and nineties were probably thinking. damn ! it would have been nice in the sixties and seventies.

i think the availability of kit is an ongoing saga and when you look at it like that it seems obvious that these things will become more scarce to find in "project" condition but at least they are still available for now and in twenty years time you know they'll be looking back at us newbies and thinking it was easy for us "back in the day".

eddy

i was just thinking , damn ! it would have been nice to have been on the scene in the eighties and nineties, but do you know what those guys from the eighties and nineties were probably thinking. damn ! it would have been nice in the sixties and seventies.

i think the availability of kit is an ongoing saga and when you look at it like that it seems obvious that these things will become more scarce to find in "project" condition but at least they are still available for now and in twenty years time you know they'll be looking back at us newbies and thinking it was easy for us "back in the day".

eddy

How right you are.... The other thing we used to think was 'It will always be there'. How wrong we were. The fall of the Berlin Wall helped in that respect.

hi gripper im sad to see it go too , you live in the same area as me sheffield :-) and if its you near morrisons with the tank on the drive ,,, its only round the corner so book me in for a ride in the sabre ...;)

Your more than welcome to come round and giev me a hand. I wil;l be taking it to Sheffield Steam Rally 27/28 of June at North Anston and there is a big play pen to run it round.:nut: