fuel pump

griff66

Hi

If you are using the original mechanical pump driven off the engine, then yes, when a pump goes it can put fuel into the engine oil. This is often the first symptom of pump problems.

My ferret came with an electric pump, solves a few issues actually, but not "original".

Cheers

Paul

Griff,

I think if its an external (to the pump) leak, then it will not be leaking into the oil.

If the internals are shot, then the fuel will go into the oil. You can get refurb kits from Marcus Glenn etc.

Got some good pointers on this forum, ie getting the fuel pump off by removing the fuel tank...not as daunting as it sounds.

Mick

I did the fuel pump on my ferret a few weeks ago and its fairly straightforward , however the only snag was you could do with a special spanner to hold the central rod stationary whilst you undo the nut that holds the diapraghm (?) in place. That nut should have been secured by centre punching or peening over the end of the threaded section of the central rod, and didnt come undone easily on mine .

The correct tool must be like a cranked spanner. I would ask around to see if someone has one before starting the job. Here are some pics . On the pic that shows the main body dismantled (Bottom pic) you can just see the end of the threaded part. This is the bit that will need to be held stationary.

On Andy Faulds EXCELLENT ! website there are some instructions for the overhaul, but it misses out the part about the special tool. I got around the problem by making a little spanner ( which I am darned if I can find !)

Please see this link for instructions (Courtesy of Andys website ) http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/manuals.htm

DSCN7628..jpg

DSCN7627..jpg

DSCN7629..jpg

DSCN7630..jpg

Edited by Fugly
More info.

right have today fixed leak as i hoped it was the union on top of fuel pump that was loose managed to do all of job from engine bay deck off, cross beam out, servo out, and oilcooler off,13/16 stubby spanner for pipe union and old stretched 1/2 witworth for union into pump , got about 1/8 turn on it ,leak no more!!! (no more people coming up to me at shows saying i can smell petrol! now got to grease the u/j underneath it looks a bit dry.

ferret back together getting the cross brace back in was hard work had to jack mv and put taper on bolts still all ok got it running all ok then wanted to see if u can start it with a starting handle and u can quite satisfying !!!

• 1 month later...
ferret back together getting the cross brace back in was hard work had to jack mv and put taper on bolts still all ok got it running all ok then wanted to see if u can start it with a starting handle and u can quite satisfying !!!

Think you are supposed to jack & support the hull before you remove the brace, at least that's what I was told??

i put a jack under ferret which helped align cross brace bolts, all moved again when i had rear amour off so i could pressure wash rad runs a bit cooler next step take take out thermostat see what it temp it runs at then.:cool2:

• 1 year later...

I have a new one of these pumps for sale , im open to offers if anyone is interested in it , im sure its new , no witness marks from previous mounting , paintwork is all fresh rubbers not perrished ,very clean and no scratches on mountings , plunger has no ware on the chrome end, It still has fuel plugs in it Its been knocking around for ages , only just found out what vehicles it was for , think it could be from a Saracen as well

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg