Hi... brian dey

hi im in not so sunny Scotland, just joined your forum and it makes interesting reading. Iv joined more for my father than myself, he has 2 Willys Canadian contract fully restored jeeps and is currently restoring a Brittish Airborne jeep trailer originaly manufactured by SS cars limited. i believe it is under contract S8055 production started 9/11/1944 and id like to know does anybody out there make repro data plates? was this late production model fitted with the standard Brittish tow hitch with the large ring? were mudguards ever fitted while in service?does anyone know what the brackets inside the trailer were for holding? were there ever a parts and operators manual issued for this trailer? Any help with any of these questions would be greatly apprciated.

Welcome

You will learn something new on every visit, well I do.

So that is technically a Jaguar trailer then,

SS Cars started out as Swallow Sidecars diversifying into cars as SS Cars Ltd. After WW2 they changed their name to Jaguar, something to do with marketing and the name being inappropriate.

Mike

hi brian

i have had an airborne trailer for 16 years it is 99.5% original ( two little drain holes added in bottom and two new coats of paint ) it had the load straps inside but we took them out and stored them to prevent damage.

but as for the LITTLE brackets in side we have looked in books, read the manuals, tried every sort of pump, jack, puncture repair kit , bulb box and battery of the time and non make a good logical fit.

The last port of call was a veterans reunion of RASC guys ( who used the trailers in pairs as jeep trains ) and non of them could remember any thing going in them , one chap even asked if i found out what goes in them would i let him know!

as for answers online just look to see where the answer has come from or is it just someones idea (there are a lot of weard ones out there ) ie planks to sit on which put all the weight on one side and is the most inefficient way if moveing men who could just sit on top of the load.

regards neil