Humber pig

matt12023

Hi

Further to the ferret thread humber pigs have been brought to my attention so couple of questions about these:

-They appear to have the same engine as the ferret, is the rest of the transmission similar? is it also a pre select box?

-being a young un I presume i'd need to take another test to drive them due to the weight?

-I presume they sell a bit cheaper then a ferret? are parts availability good?

thank you

-They appear to have the same engine as the ferret, is the rest of the transmission similar? is it also a pre select box?

Engine B60 the same but has normal truck type flywheel gearbox & 4WD selection.

-being a young un I presume i'd need to take another test to drive them due to the weight?

Sorry no idea about young drivers etc but Mk 1 weighs 4.775kg unladen & 5.791kg laden (ie 1 ton payload!)

-I presume they sell a bit cheaper then a ferret? are parts availability good?

Much cheaper than a Ferret to buy I know of two going cheap. Engine parts the same available at a price. But other parts not so easy unless can salvaged from a scrap vehicle.

Much cheaper than a Ferret to buy I know of two going cheap. Engine parts the same available at a price. But other parts not so easy unless can salvaged from a scrap vehicle.

What sort of price is cheap? what sort of location in the country?

Am I right in presuming it drives more like a normal vehicle with a clutch ect?

does engine parts extend to the transmission as well, so it'd be possible to keep it running just not 100% authentic?

thank you for reply, this is very quick , knowledgeable forum

edit:

looking into it due to annoying licence laws i'd have to do my cat C to be able to drive it on the road, annoying but doable

also they are tempting because it may savisfy the armour bug while being cheaper and slightly more practical to drive then a ferret

Edited by matt12023

I imagine they would be in the £2k region, located in Berkshire area.

Most wheeled military vehicles, even armoured ones, were based on modifications to a commercial chassis. The Humber FV1600 was not like that & was designed for military use from the outset. So many components have no direct commercial equivalent.

When a MV goes out of service, there is a corresponding availability of spares. The trouble for Humber enthusisats is that these spares were repurchased or not released in order to maintain the Pigs used in NI from 1969 onwards.

The upside is that some components were remanufactured to fufil this demand, so things like dynamos can still be found in crates.

If a Ferret breaks down it is a major headache, if a Pig breaks down it is a set back. But at least you can sit in the back of it & make a cup of tea whilst you access the tools & spares that you have the room to carry around with you.

PS Driving a Ferret, many would say could only safely be done with a crew of two. Driving a Pig can easily done by yourself & follows the normal layout of controls. Invariably people will say "I bet its a pig to drive, mate?". No it isn't, its fine to drive. Vision is a bit restricted but with the hatches open you have better vision than many commercial trucks & vans.

Edited by fv1609

I imagine they would be in the £2k region, located in Berkshire area.

what sort of condition vehicle would that get you? useable? or in need of spannering

checked with footman james and insurance would indeed be £101 comp, which is amazing. So major expense would be doing the cat C test. Though I could get one and store it in the yard in the interim and drool over it

They've not been driven for some years & spannering will be needed I'm afraid & probably fabrication of lockers etc. So perhaps not a first project. There is this expression sometimes used that a Pig is an "entry level" vehicle which sounds rather patronising suggesting perhaps only beginers should have one. I think I once counted that there are over 90 lubrication points. When you look under a lot Humbers at shows quite a large number have not received much servcing in recent times & some have been incorrectly attended to.

I think I once counted that there are over 90 lubrication points. When you look under a lot Humbers at shows quite a large number have not received much servcing in recent times & some have been incorrectly attended to.

The same applies to Ferrets Clive. Have a look at some and see how many have the grease nipples painted over. These will probably be the same ones which are making creaking noises as they drive past.

The same applies to Ferrets Clive. Have a look at some and see how many have the grease nipples painted over. These will probably be the same ones which are making creaking noises as they drive past.

But some of them have nice paint jobs though:undecided:

what sort of condition vehicle would that get you? useable? or in need of spannering

checked with footman james and insurance would indeed be £101 comp, which is amazing. So major expense would be doing the cat C test. Though I could get one and store it in the yard in the interim and drool over it

They always need some form of spannering! as Clive mentioned there is alot of stuff to check and make sure its properly lubricated.

Even taking it for a spin is a bit of an event, by the time you have unlocked and lifted the engine covers checked the engine fluid levels, opened the hatches up, visually checked how much petrol is in the tanks, checked the brake reservoir, got in it, got back out to adjust the mirrors, got back in, got back out to open the hatches you missed in the back doors, get back in, check the winch and four wheel drive selectors are in the proper positions and the air pump lever hasnt been engaged, turned the electrics on at the dash, pumped the accelerator a couple of times and hit the starter switch, the engine fires up, and then you wait until the engine runs even and is warmed up, a cold Pig isnt a happy beast, turn the lights on and get out and check them, get back in release the brakes and you are off, a bit sluggishly until the oil in the gearbox warms up and makes for easier gear changes.

What you have to remember is these things are rapidly approaching 60 years old!!

Croc: yes it can, on the older pre 1997 licence, the new car licence cat B has a 3.5 tonne limit.

If you pass after 1997 you need a cat C.

luckly I passed the month before it changed so i gained a cat C1 enabling me to drive up to 7.5tonnes, as the older licences have..

Edited by paul connor

Croc: yes it can, on the older pre 1997 licence, the new car licence cat B has a 3.5 tonne limit.

If you pass after 1997 you need a cat C.

luckly I passed the month before it changed so i gained a cat C1 enabling me to drive up to 7.5tonnes, as the older licences have..

I don't believe that the date on the B licence makes any difference. I do not recall anything in the pre 60 exemption wording that differentiates depending on the pass date of a "B" licence.

For example, my wife could drive my 1951 Scammell (12ton) but not my 1967 RL (4 ton unladen) on her post '97 "B" licence.

Its not the vehicle exemption, its the licence I refer to

from DVLA webiste:

B : Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg.

from DVLA website,its the licence, I know my friends could not drive my Pig due to the weight and their licence being issued after 1997. The weight being the issue. It was always questioned by Footman James when Ages were mentioned on insurance policy

Its not the vehicle exemption, its the licence I refer to

from DVLA webiste:

B : Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg.

from DVLA website,its the licence, I know my friends could not drive my Pig due to the weight and their licence being issued after 1997. The weight being the issue. It was always questioned by Footman James when Ages were mentioned on insurance policy

It is the licence exemption I am refering to, (this is different to the testing exemption currently being reviewed) see DVLA site: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022499

hi adam i need a pig as mine has been totally wrecked, tyres slashed electrics ripped out ,dials smashed, just a total wreck , lets hope the insurance will pay out

Sorry to hear about your pig mate.

Mine is in the for sale section, pics are in my profile page.

It does need some cosmetic work, but mechanicly sound and very good tyres.

Make me a offer.

• 2 weeks later...