MK or MJ ?

Big Al

Question

I am thinking of buying a MK/MJ which would be the best?

It will need to be downrated or derated how easy will this be and what paperwork would be need?

If down rated I beleve from reading on here that it would come under the MOT testing and not LGV/HGV testing is this correct?

There was one on milweb last week looked very good but was sold very quickly, has anyone on here have one for sale or are thinking of selling one?

Alec

Edited by Big Al

thats fine in a car if you have the reactions of a fly when the paper comes towards it, no middle age gut and a roomy seating area where you dont break your nose on the gear stick hand brake and centre consul but we dont all have those reflexes.

AS for 2 wheelers no chance at all if in the mirror blind spot and thats for bothe sides of a lorry.

and as antarmike stated it stops 70-100 gals of diesel burtsing onto a hot exhaust causing a conflagration that only the lorry driver can escape from, requiring dental record identification of car ocupants, and any firefighter who has been called to a fatal fire can tell you that a smell of roast pork pervades the air for some time after.:cry:

So post April 84 trucks have to be fitted with side rails and under run protection, apart from those exempt as previously stated.

Am I right in presuming that you can fit side rails and under run protection to trucks pre April 84 if you wish?

Hi Grumpy.

I've not seen any thing in the regs to say that you can't fit them pre 84. I had a good friend killed some

years back by an artic. He was on his motor cycle and the lorry over took him. the drive didn't see him in the blind spot and he was dragged under the trailor for 1/2 mile before the drive even knew some thing was wrong from another motorist. They may not look very nice but they do save lives.

Clive

protruckservices.com

why dont the army have to run with them then?

Because the Army can ask the Secretary of State to give them permission to not to have to comply with any particular condition of construction and Use regs, that affects the use of of a particular vehicle operating in a particuilar role.

If the Army needs ultimate ground clearance for a vehicle, because it will be used off-road, they apply to the Secretary of state, who gives them exemption from complying with those aspects of C and U which would " compromise the vehicle's operational capability"

The vehicle is "certified by the Secretarey of State as being, for operational reasons, unable to comply with the regulations contained in the certificate."

The vehicle "must be the property of, or under the control of, of the Secretary of State or of a procurement contractor (or sub contractor) who has obtained the Secretry of States permission for use on roads. "

I.e. it must belong to the Armed services, or it must be being delivered to them by a procurement contractor (supplier), no one else can get this exemption.

This is also the same reason why some types of vehicles can be operated by the armed services, but a private individual cannot use the same vehicle on the road. The army can operate vehicles that, upon release, cannot be registered for road use, and can never legally run on the road on their own wheels or tracks.

Edited by antarmike