Ward LaFrance HET M746 and M747

On special request some picture's of the M746/ M747 combination

The combination is on display at ArmyCars, Zwijndrecht, The Netherlands

Besides being an trade company it also is an sort of museum, 1 day a week

It was formed out of the remains of the Marshall museum after this moved to Overloon

The collection mainly consists of post-WW2 equipment

All the restored vehicle's are in running condition

The M746 / M747 combination is loaded with an former German army M88 ARV

The M747 trailer is loaded with an M47 tank, most likely former German army

MichelK

M746 Ward La Franc

M746 Ward La Franc

M746 Ward La Franc

M747 Semitrailer

M746 Ward La Franc

Hi antar,

thanks for the picture's

There is not much picture's to be found of the M746, except for the 1 at primeportal

And I agree with you, it's nicer to see them "a-life" then to be placed in an museum

MichelK

Hi antar,

thanks for the picture's

There is not much picture's to be found of the M746, except for the 1 at primeportal

And I agree with you, it's nicer to see them "a-life" then to be placed in an museum

MichelK

Yes I have seen the pictures on Prime Portal and tried to track down who owns those 2 trucks. They look like they are in Holland by the surrounding buildings. The trailer coupled to one of them is not the M747 but I think a later German one for the Faun Eleffant 8x8. I have sent E-mails to the guy who runs Prime Portal asking him if he can forward my details to the photographer of those pictures "Rolf Mulder" but as yet I have had no response.

John.

Yes I have seen the pictures on Prime Portal and tried to track down who owns those 2 trucks. They look like they are in Holland by the surrounding buildings. The trailer coupled to one of them is not the M747 but I think a later German one for the Faun Eleffant 8x8. I have sent E-mails to the guy who runs Prime Portal asking him if he can forward my details to the photographer of those pictures "Rolf Mulder" but as yet I have had no response.

John.

John,

because of you're remark about the buildings being in Holland

I did an re-check at primeportal for the other items that may be visible

The buildings itself where no good lead, however the various crawler crane's in the background of some picture's where :cool2:

And through this I have found both truck's :clap:

They are at an Dutch company called Sindorf Trading Holland

http://www.sindorf.nl

Go to the section trucks, the second in the list are the M746 truck's

And it are not just 2, it seams that there are 9 truck's there :wow:

Concerning the trailers you're right about that, they are German SLT-50-2 Faun 8x8 trailers

Sindorf also has some Faun truck's

MichelK

You should be a detective mate ! :clap::clap::clap:Well done !

Tried that, however was to good for the job :angel:

It could also be because it's in the line of work I used to do :whistle:

Just did not know they also traded truck's :-D

MichelK

Hi John , have you any plans to take the beast to any shows this year as I'd love to see her on the move ? Very rare sight I imagine ! :-D

Evening Andy,

I do intend on getting it to Beltring at some stage, plan was for this year, but progress does not seem good at the moment. I need to get my Crusader 35T tractor unit back on the road so I can put the M746 on the M747 trailer to get it there. At 2.5 mpg under its own power and the 38mph it is somewhat prohibative for the 540 mile round trip !!!

If you fancy a run up north I will let you know when it is giong out.

John.

John,

because of you're remark about the buildings being in Holland

I did an re-check at primeportal for the other items that may be visible

The buildings itself where no good lead, however the various crawler crane's in the background of some picture's where :cool2:

And through this I have found both truck's :clap:

They are at an Dutch company called Sindorf Trading Holland

http://www.sindorf.nl

Go to the section trucks, the second in the list are the M746 truck's

And it are not just 2, it seams that there are 9 truck's there :wow:

Concerning the trailers you're right about that, they are German SLT-50-2 Faun 8x8 trailers

Sindorf also has some Faun truck's

MichelK

Excelent work MichelK,

Unbelievable that they have 9 of them I wonder where they came from. Most of them were sold off in the early 90's in Germany. I went to one of the DRMO sales where six were sold, they were around $18,000 then ! Never ever thought that I would ever own one of them a few years later !

John.

John - why do you run your trailer on single tyres? It doesn't look as if the twins stick out wider than the trailer on the Overloon museum example.....:undecided:

Regards,

Tony

Tony,

small correction, there is no M746 at the Overloon museum :whistle:

The Overloon museum only have an Oskosh M911 HET and an M123 HET

The one I have posted is at ArmyCars Zwijndrecht

Concerning the dubble set of wheels

They are wider then the trailer itself as you can see on the picture, it is all most an full tire on either side

MichelK

M746 Ward La Franc

My mistake, Michel - and yes I can see the problem now! When I first looked at your photos I could have sworn they were within the trailer deck!! :embarrassed: And I even viewed that very trailer at Zwijndrecht a couple of years ago :embarrassed::embarrassed:

John,

how long ago has it been when you visited Zwijndrecht ?

The last time I was there around 6-2004, when it still was called Marshall museum, they did not have the M746 on display

And the Marshall museum started moving around 6-2006 to the Overloon location

I'm just curious to know how long it is already there.

For I forget, the new ArmyCars museum, Zwijndrecht opened at the beginning of 2009

MichelK

If it is of any interest I saw it in December 07. We had gone to get a load of WLF parts, and were allowed to inspect the collection which was being restored for the new museum

Many vehicles had already been restored - I think this outfit was restored by that time but cannot be sure (Grasshopper may know - although he was suffering badly with frostbite by 11am). Most were post war, but several nice ww2 vehicles also.

The museum was intended to be opened in early 2008 - they were working flat out at this time to get it finished, but the opening was much delayed it seems.

Well the museum is not open every week, it's best to check before you go I found out :-|

I did try to visit it in september 2009 and it was closed

They had sold an lot of the vehicle's that where on display and there was not much left to show

However I did an other visit at the closing of 2009 and the open spaces had been filled up

Most of the collection still is post WW2

This could also have happended in 2008 that caused an delay in the opening :-\

MichelK

Youre truck had only 538 miles :wow:

That is from the factory to the storage depot, from depot to the re-seller and then to you

Just out of curiosity, hoe long did it take to put 538 miles on the clock ??

So the date/year of manufacturing untill you bought it, how many years??

MichelK

Youre truck had only 538 miles :wow:

That is from the factory to the storage depot, from depot to the re-seller and then to you

Just out of curiosity, hoe long did it take to put 538 miles on the clock ??

So the date/year of manufacturing untill you bought it, how many years??

MichelK

Manufacture in Elmira Heights, New York in 1976. I bought it in Derby, England 20 September2002. 26 years !!! Most of them had only storage mileage when sold.

John - why do you run your trailer on single tyres? It doesn't look as if the twins stick out wider than the trailer on the Overloon museum example.....:undecided:

Regards,

Tony

Just to add the actual dimensions. The trailer bed is 10' wide exactly. With the twin wheels fitted overall width is 11'6", therefore the tyres are exposed by 9" each side. As I have never carried anything heavier that the CET at 18 tonnes this is well within the rating of the single tyres.

With the twin wheels on although the trailer is outside C&U Regulations I'm sure the uncovered tyres would be frowned upon by the Police or VOSA so my plan is to use some very heavy old conveyor belting (3/4" thick) to make a cover for the tyres where they are exposed. This way if the tyres come close to anything when manovering the arches will flex a little.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks familiar :cool2:

John,

if you are planning to take picture's, take along an good flash light

The light's in the storage erea is not so good for camera's

Picture's will be to dark (with flash) or to light (without flash, with longer time setting)

Michel