Any ideas what this was for

antar

Question

This vehicle is bedford based and recently appeared as seen in a local scrapyard. It looks like it was some sort of monitoring unit for some sort of trials. There are badges stuck to the panneling next to the drivers position. Inside are the remains of computer/communications racks. On the roof there are three plles which fold down look like they were to carry radar dishes. Anybody any ideas ???

033a..jpg

039a..jpg

038a..jpg

032a..jpg

11 answers to this question

This crest was on the outside of both vehicles. Does this give anymore clues, in looking closer they are both actually painted blue and are petrol powered Bedfords.

I think these crests are of the Cranfield College of Aeronautics. The vehicle shown looks to be based on the Bedford VAS with the 214 engine. The body front is very similar to the coaches used by the Army in the 1970's, but features of the body, and the colour show that it may have been first used to transport prisoners.

Wow, those stickers are pretty old!

My (very ;)) informed guess: it was used in Harrier flight trials. RCS is radar cross-section or your standard gauge of 'stealthiness' - the chaff measurements would be for evaluating the effect of dispensing chaff against standard enemy radars of the time, maybe for measuring speed of breaking missile lock with different tactics etc. The Zeus Integrated Defensive Aids System is the radar warner + accessories in the Harrier; the idea in that sort of thing is to reduce the reaction time for the pilot, so the system can automatically chuck the appropriate type of countermeasure out depending on the type of radar you've been spotted by and what mode it's in. They mostly do this sort of stuff at Spadeadam now, not that we really build many fighters these days...

Don't think Zeus was installed until the GR5 and GR7 (source); if so that'd date it fairly accurately to 1976-ish. I should probably get a spotter badge about now :cool2:

Stone

Wow, those stickers are pretty old!

My (very ;)) informed guess: it was used in Harrier flight trials. RCS is radar cross-section or your standard gauge of 'stealthiness' - the chaff measurements would be for evaluating the effect of dispensing chaff against standard enemy radars of the time, maybe for measuring speed of breaking missile lock with different tactics etc. The Zeus Integrated Defensive Aids System is the radar warner + accessories in the Harrier; the idea in that sort of thing is to reduce the reaction time for the pilot, so the system can automatically chuck the appropriate type of countermeasure out depending on the type of radar you've been spotted by and what mode it's in. They mostly do this sort of stuff at Spadeadam now, not that we really build many fighters these days...

Don't think Zeus was installed until the GR5 and GR7 (source); if so that'd date it fairly accurately to 1976-ish. I should probably get a spotter badge about now :cool2:

Stone

Thanks for the response Stone perhaps I should have saved the piece of panel with the badges on before it all got scrapped

I was incorrect on the id of the crest, it is actually for the Royal Aircraft Establishment.

Perhaps I started the post in the wrong place, should have been under aircraft ! I have heard of a "flying pig" but never a flying Bedford bus !