A passion for Jimmies.........

Hi there,

Newly registered and glad to be on board - top marks to Jack for his sterling efforts - where does he find the time?

Got my first machine vert in 1990, a WC51 ex Colin Dennis from Calne, Wilts. Had done three years on CVRW with the Wilts Yeomanry and missed green machines too much when I left! Developed a keen interest in the local WW2 US scene (which is still going strong) after camping on Ramsbury airfield with the TA on June 5th 1986, then got hooked up with Colin Spencer and his Jeep in Marlborough and the 51 followed soon after.

Have subsequently had two CCKW 353's, both open cabs, one with and one without winch, but have been without a vehicle since 1997 and look likely to be soon re-entering the frey with a friend - White Scout Car - a means to an end!

Had white cargo body and wing edges on my last 353 as per pictures of CCKW's at Ramsbury airfield with the 437th TCG in 1944/5 - also had 437th markings most of the time. Vehicle now owned and well rallied by Kevin Gant in Suffolk and still going strong when last seen.

With my dad Dave and brother Clive, we organised the successful series of 1990's Red Ball Express WW2 US Heavy Truck Convoy weekends based on Marlborough, Wilts. We had three Jimmies on the road at the height of our interest and before our oil wells ran dry! Highlight of our activities was the return to Wootton Basset of veterans of the WW2 US Army's 452nd Mobile Laundry in 1994. All had driven Jimmies and COE tractor units and most had also been drafted in to serve on the RBE during it's height. We filled the trucks and took them around the town. When we got back one came up to me and told me I'd driven my truck just like they'd driven them during the war and it had taken him right back to the RBE - I took it as a compliment, but upon reflection.........

Attached is a shot of our last RBE effort in 1995 showing a suitable line up of trucks outside Tottenham House in Savernake Forest - US Army Ordnance Depot 0-375's HQ between 42-45.

Now live in Newark, Notts and still have a passion for Jimmies. No other truck gives me the buzz that a Jimmy can, whether it be driving them, looking at them or listening to them. Medium term I'd like a shop van - keen to see Robert Claydon's when done and the repro Clubmobile.

For those interested in a planned re-energised UK Red Ball Express, Clive and Ed Abbot are working on one for East Anglia for next year (with my enthusiastic encouragement!) - visit http://www..co.uk to register your interest!

Neil Stevens

[attachment deleted by admin]

welcome neil,

this is my first season with a jimmie & so far it has been interesting. a few problems that we have been able to get sorted in the field & my philosophy has been " well if we replace it now it should last another 50 years"

there are quite a few jimmie owners on here so no doubt your servvices may be called upon.

ta

berni

Welcome aboard Neil and glad you find this place at last :flower:

It would be good if you have any of your previous Red Ball Express pictures that you can post up. You guys sure know how to run an event or two so please do keep us posted on progress....I reckon you guys should organise regional RBE so everyone has a chance to take part.

Cheers.

Jack.

Berni,

I'm no expert so coming to me in your hour of need might be unwise!! Thanks for the welcome though. I'm sure your first year of Jimmy fun will be long remembered!

Attached is a picture of my 353 in Holland in May 95 when impersonating a 91st BG vehicle!!

The wing mirrors were black with convex glass and came from Steve Rivers, providing superb panoramic rear views which allowed you to reverse the truck with ease into any space that would take it. Anyone know if these are still available?

Jack to note that the RBE pictures require scanning first, so give me time.

Regards,

Neil

[attachment deleted by admin]