Flippin brakes smoking..

Jack

Just been out for a run out - to the chippy then the pub :-D when I pulled into the drive and gave the jimmy a check over smoke was pouring from the rear brakes :-o

Would that be the brakes binding on? We live where there are a lot of hills so we do a fair amount of braking, would this be the cause? Or have I a problem?

Yours cheerfully :cry:.

Jack.

Jack,

Sounds like the brakes were stuck on. We had this problem with our Fox the other week. The problem was a faulty servo which was not releasing the pressure, the result was glowing red discs and lots of smoke.

Chris

Jack,

Sounds like the brakes were stuck on. We had this problem with our Fox the other week. The problem was a faulty servo which was not releasing the pressure, the result was glowing red discs and lots of smoke.

Chris

Chris, did you remember to put the required amount of oil in the servo to keep it lubricated..

Hi Jack,

You did not mention the fronts smoking so probably disregard servo as that would make all brakes bind. Jack the back wheels up to see if it is all of them or just the odd one, my guess it could be a siezed wheel cylinder.

Richard

Cheers Richard.

It has always been fine but wasn't tonight :( the I always touch the wheels to check for heat but they weren't over hot :?

Jack, the time you have spent talking about this you could have had them off

and the problem sorted , it seems strange though that all the drums were smoking

or was it just one of them

Commander

I tell you something Chris, if you thing I am pulling the wheels off at midnight, then I going to start to worry about you. :-o

Jack, what new parts did you fit during the resto? I'd start there, check adjustments, fitting and the likes .

Actually, I haven't touched the brakes yet. The problem is that I am not going to get much chance to look this week and I have a show next weekend, the strange thing is that they weren't that hot to the touch.

Jack

If you have not done any work on the brakes, keep in mind flexible brake hoses can collapse internally, allowing fluid to pass under pressure, but not allowing to return, when brakes released.

Shopnut

Oh :banghead:

Jack

I had one rear wheel on my CCKW that would lock up and I replaced the spring and that took care of the problem. The old springs do get weak over time and while they appear really strong when dissambling the brakes, they may not be strong enough to pull the shoes away from the drum against the wheel cylinder pressure.

Jack

I had one rear wheel on my CCKW that would lock up and I replaced the spring and that took care of the problem. The old springs do get weak over time and while they appear really strong when dissambling the brakes, they may not be strong enough to pull the shoes away from the drum against the wheel cylinder pressure.

Thanks AD and everyone else, I will try and pull the wheel this week....if I get time, will let you know the out come.

Cheers.

Jack.

No drama, but jacked the puppy up tonight and the wheel spin freely.........but I can't shift the flippin nuts not with the spanner that I have got, the one that comes with GMC as standard :banghead:

So what spanner do I need and I have no access to heat :cry:

Oddball do drop by some time back but I didn't want to bust his spanner.

Cheers

Jack.

.........but I can't shift the flippin nuts not with the spanner that I have got, the one that comes with GMC as standard :banghead:

Jack,

Now I am no expert on GMC trucks, but would these nuts happen to be on the drivers side?? If so , they may well be LEFT hand thread...........you may be tightening them :lol:

Richard