Maybe (?) found an answer to odd metal strap on the ferret !

Fugly

A few months ago I posted a picture of a metal strap that had been welded over two tonneau cover lugs on the R/H side of the hull of my ferret. The only possibility was that it may have had a ladder attached from it corporate use days :

I bought a cable reel not long ago and it has sat in the corner of the garage , to be added later . Tonight i had a brief (an probably the last) flash of inspiration and thought maybe the reel was mounted there ?

It fits very well and is v shaped, as though something heavy and pulled it in one spot. It has had some other strange mods done to it , so why not this one ?

Any thoughts ??

Strap.jpg

reel 2.jpg

Reel 1.jpg

Strap1.jpg

Edited by Fugly

Is it on the spare wheel side? As a Ferret crewman I'd very quickly get jacked off if I had to remove the D10 reel every time I wanted to get into the side bin.

Thats an excellent point , it is above the stowage lock and would need to be removed to gain full access to the locker. It does lift off quite easily at the moment (but it is an empty reel) - might be a different story with a full reel on it. I dont know how much weight the cable would add. There are a few other bits welded on it in odd places - There have been some bolts (?) welded to the nearside rear hatch , that appear to have been ground off. Were these added by someone during its army days? I am in the lucky position of geing able to talk to one of the ferrets previous commanders who did have some mods done to it ivluding a basket , rear tool carrier

Hatch mod 3.jpg

Hatch Mod.jpg

Hatch mod 2.jpg

Well my ex 0 02CC12 commander came to see it and he has confirmed it is to hang a cable reel off, so that is fine with me and it is now staying - It was great to speak to someone who had experience on this ferret - The funniest thing was when he (and his good lady wife) both simultaneously identified 2 beer bottle tops as "Herforder Pils" !