Germans - Fuel - Ardennes

Joris

I was wondering, if the German tanks were all running on diesel fuel what was the use of them capturing the American fuel dumps in their Ardennes offensive?

All US vehicles were running on gasoline so capturing those dumps could not have been much use to them. I know they could fuel their soft skins but they were not much use if their tanks were without fuel.

Or were the German tanks multi fuel?

I was wondering, if the German tanks were all running on diesel fuel what was the use of them capturing the American fuel dumps in their Ardennes offensive?

All US vehicles were running on gasoline so capturing those dumps could not have been much use to them. I know they could fuel their soft skins but they were not much use if their tanks were without fuel.

Or were the German tanks multi fuel?

Of course their real mistake was to drive their M48's (I think ?) up hill towards the fuel dumps allowing Telly Savalas to roll burning fuel drums down at them and blow them up !

Then why did the German tanks did not catch fire as quickly as the Shermans? Or was this a design flaw?

Blimey I was convinced they ran on diesel... :-X

They did. Panther in particular was known to brew quickly. The problem with earlier Shermans was the ammo stored in the sponsons. Diesel Shermans burned just as readily as petrol examples and it was not unknown for a Sherman to be burnt out in the fighting compartment but the fuel tanks to be unburnt.

According to the books here the common German tank engines were:

Panzer I - 4 cylinder Krupp M 305 air cooled (59 hp, 44 kW) - Petrol

Panzer II - 6-cyl Maybach HL (140 hp, 77 KW ) - Petrol

Panzer III - V-12 Maybach HL 120 TRM (296 hp, 220 kW) - Petrol

Panzer IV - V12 Maybach HL 120 TRM (296 hp, 220 kW) - Petrol

Panther - V-12 petrol Maybach HL230 P30 (690 hp, 515 kW) - Petrol

Jagd Panther - V12 Maybach HL230 P30 (690 hp, 515 kW) - Petrol

Tiger 1 - V12 Maybach HL230 P45 (690 hp, 5145 kW) - Petrol

Tiger 2 - V12 Maybach HL230 P30 (690 hp, 5145 kW) - Petrol

Tiger (P) Elefant -2× V-12 Maybach HL 120 (300 hp, 220 kW each) - Petrol

Jagd Tiger - V-12 Maybach HL 230 P30 (690 hp, 515 kW) - Petrol

Not sure what the engine was in the Schturm Tiger as that section appears to be missing.... :cry:

As ever - open to corrections! :-) :-)

One other type seen during the Ardennes was the Hetzer with praga 6cylinder gasoline engine, Sturmtigers were P45 Maybach the automotives didn't change.

Adrian Barrell

They did. Panther in particular was known to brew quickly. The problem with earlier Shermans was the ammo stored in the sponsons.

In addition the Panther and variants in particular and therefore the Tiger 2 as it had a similar engine layout had a design problem with stall fires burning out the tank.

Many later German tanks had ammunition stowage in the panniers similar to the Sherman 75, often photos of wrecked panthers and Tigers show blown out sponson floors. Some German AFVs even had a fuel tank in the fighting compartment -Jagdpanzer 4 springs to mind.

Although later Sherman 75 and Churchills had internal ammunition boxes and doors fitted around the ammunition stowage, recommended after tests were carried out with captured Panzer 3s in North Africa, it did not make much difference, there was still alot of things to go bang in the crew compartment of a fully loaded tank, ready rounds, fuel of aux generators, 2inch mortar rounds, crew weapons, oil in the transmission in Shermans and German tanks, even stowage of cleaning materials and personal kit.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
grammar

One other type seen during the Ardennes was the Hetzer with praga 6cylinder gasoline engine, Sturmtigers were P45 Maybach the automotives didn't change.

<snipped?

Steve

Thanks Steve - I'll put a note in the book. My Tigers book was bought for me as a present when I was a LOT younger and has seen a great deal of wear over the years!!