Guy Ant 4x4 GS not Quad

Ben Rippingham

Hi all,

I would really like to own this truck, I am led to believe it was for sale a couple of years ago by a well known collector in the peak district? I am a big fan of the unusual and this truck really ticks that box for me any leads would be much appreciated.

regards

Ben

Hi Ben , I knew this truck extremely well as it belonged to a good friend of mine in Cumbria not the Peak district as I think the photo you have is possibly from the Cumbria Steam Fair at Cark Airfield - It shared a garage with other recovery trucks such as a Morris Commercial CS8 - Bert retired a few years back and lessened his collection and sold some of the vehicles off at an Auction held at Garstang , Lancashire - I was going to buy the Guy to go with my others in my collection but was more interested in the little cs8 which came later but missed that one also - I believe the Guy Quad Ant is still in Cumbria as I am sure it was at Cark last year or the year before Cheers:writing:

think the garstang autojumble is on ths sun ........

The auction the vehicles were not sold at the Garstang Autojumble Auctions but were sold at an auction which was held at the same farm that the Scorton Village show is held at . The main items were a load of trucks from ashworth's fats and oils which consisted of a good number of very nice vintage vehicles including restoration projects and then a good number of more modern trucks from the fats and oils business itself . The mv tow trucks and others were added to the Auction catalogue from the private collection of Bert Atkinson of Levens . The Morris Commercial cs8 was sold to a collector from Banks near Southport and the Guy Quad Ant I believe stayed in Cumbria .:coffee:

Thanks for that interesting info there Glynn, so does your freind bert still own the truck or was it sold to someone else in cumbria? Oh by the way I believe you wanted to know the whereabouts of a certain commer beetle, I'd check your pm's.

regards

Ben

Hi Ben ,

No the Guy Quad Ant from my friend Bert was sold on at the Auction down at the farm at Scorton - I can't remember how much and who it went to but I do know it was sold somewhere in the lake district and it did go to the Cumbria Steam do at Flookburgh the year before last if I remember rightly I will try and dig out my Programme and see if I can find out who it is . I haven't heard that it is for sale again though as I believe the new owner was going to freshen up the paintwork and restore it to the breakdown truck that use to run round the lakes in the fifties . I believe the MCC CS8 is up for sale again after being sold when the collection of steam and vintage vehicles from the collector at Banks were sold at auction last year - The asking price is £5250 i believe which is a high price considering that the truck although it runs well is somewhat tender and I think it has had its' chassis shortened when converted into a breakdown truck - it's still a bonny truck though

I will try and ring you later - Thanks for the pm

cheers :coffee: