Ferret 06eb51 mark 2/6 at withams feb tender - pics

Fugly

HI

I have been to Withams today to view their Feb tender. Here are some pics of the Mark 2/6 ferret that is up for offer. Its pretty rough. The turret spins and the tyres look reasonable but the rest is quite rough. The engine cover have been snapped off because the hinges were seized, The engine may be too. Some parts are missing off the engine. the inside looks complete and the gearbox may be a recent (?) replacement ?

Some of the corrosion on the hull and turret is quite deep .

I took a picture of the data plate for future reference.

The Humber pig they have is very rotten , but I doubt it will make much. They have a lot of radio equipment that is not in the tender and is available quite cheaply.

wf5.jpg

wf4.jpg

wf2.jpg

wf3.jpg

Am I being stupid or was the Mark 2/6 not the Vigilant variant? I'd suggest that if there were any sign of Vigilant mounts on the turret, it might be worth something for the rarity value but at first glance that looks like a bog standard Mark 2/3 or 2/4.

Cheap radio equipment you say? What like a ferret setup, clansman 353 etc? Do you know how much they are going for?

Thanks

Paul

If Mark 2/6 was the Vigilant variant, Clansman would be entirely inappropriate. By 1976, the ATGM variant in service was the Mark 5 with Swingfire, replaced by CVR(T) Striker in the Armd Recce Regt and a version of FV432 which currently escapes me in the Armd Regt. My recollection of BG ATGM provision in the late 70s (15/19H's Swingfire shoot in July 1977 was to be the last time the RAC fired ATGM before that provision passed to the RA - it may have come back in-house later) is that J Bty 3RHA (IIRC) provided 15/19H BG with Swingfire in Strikers.

Clansman did not start to roll out to BAOR until about 1979 - 80.

Of course this assumes that this vehicle is a Mark 2/6 as stated in the title. I am not entirely convinced. Even so, the Mark 2 was not widely employed once CVR(T) came into service in the early / mid 70s. I can only think of the Cyprus Armoured Car Squadron and the UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron. NI perhaps? Fox arrived in NI in the late 70s to replace the Mark 2 Ferret and I'd guess NI got Fox before Clansman.

I cannot see Cyprus getting Clansman early. Cyprus was a logistical backwater. Bazz may well have a comment here as ISTR he was with the Armoured Car Squadron in 1985 and could not source Saladin parts because the RAOC thought it had been retired until they took a picture with dated newspaper in front of Saladin.

Certainly in the mid-70s the wider debate was replace Ferret in the Armd Car Regt with CVR(T) in the Armd Recce Regt or replace Larkspur with Clansman: we couldn't afford both and we rolled out CVR(T) and CVR(W) before Clansman.

If Mark 2/6 was the Vigilant variant, Clansman would be entirely inappropriate. By 1976, the ATGM variant in service was the Mark 5 with Swingfire, replaced by CVR(T) Striker in the Armd Recce Regt and a version of FV432 which currently escapes me in the Armd Regt. My recollection of BG ATGM provision in the late 70s (15/19H's Swingfire shoot in July 1977 was to be the last time the RAC fired ATGM before that provision passed to the RA - it may have come back in-house later) is that J Bty 3RHA (IIRC) provided 15/19H BG with Swingfire in Strikers.

Of course this assumes that this vehicle is a Mark 2/6 as stated in the title. I am not entirely convinced. Even so, the Mark 2 was not widely employed once CVR(T) came into service in the early / mid 70s. I can only think of the Cyprus Armoured Car Squadron and the UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron. NI perhaps? Fox arrived in NI in the late 70s to replace the Mark 2 Ferret and I'd guess NI got Fox before Clansman.

I cannot see Cyprus getting Clansman early. Cyprus was a logistical backwater. Bazz may well have a comment here as ISTR he was with the Armoured Car Squadron in 1985 and could not source Saladin parts because the RAOC thought it had been retired until they took a picture with dated newspaper in front of Saladin.

Certainly in the mid-70s the wider debate was replace Ferret in the Armd Car Regt with CVR(T) in the Armd Recce Regt or replace Larkspur with Clansman: we couldn't afford both and we rolled out CVR(T) and CVR(W) before Clansman.

Yes its a 2/6. The data plate states

CONTRACT NUMBER FV 3891

VEHICLE NUMBER NUMBER 06EB51

SCOUT CAR RECCE VIGILANT FV 703 MK 2/6 TYPE A

It can be read on my copy of the picture of the data plate. It also has the mofification to the turret and extra aerial boxes at the rear.

The radio equipment for sale there varies , I bought a telephone type handset for £5 with lead. A clansman 353 was about £80 - dont know if they work. You can get the 349 with headphone etc for £35 and there are lots of other goodies (switch boxes and power supplies etc). If anyone want more pics please PM me with your email address.

On this photo you can just see the turret mods.

vigilant.jpg

I must admit I thought in one of the first pictures that the turret rear side plates did not look like they were of a standard Mark 2 turret. Still disappointed at the complete lack of Vigilant equipment. Surely that will be rare as rocking horse droppings for anyone restoring it to Mark 2/6 spec?

I must admit I thought in one of the first pictures that the turret rear side plates did not look like they were of a standard Mark 2 turret. Still disappointed at the complete lack of Vigilant equipment. Surely that will be rare as rocking horse droppings for anyone restoring it to Mark 2/6 spec?

I believe the correct designation for this vehicle is actualy a MK2/7. This means it started life as a 2/6 with the Vigalant A/T System fitted. When the Vigi went out of Fashion on the Ferret. they were modified with the removal of the launch boxes from the Turret, & also the spare missle boxes from the side & a spare wheel fitted. The Turret hand traverse mech was left in situ & the Turret hatch left as it was with the bigger hinges. (These were to clear the missile launch perisciope I belive.) all the other SMALL odities such as placement of certain boxes Etc. Were also left alone, if they did not interfere with normal operation the same as a 'Normal' MK2/3.

there is a Similar 2/7 to this outside the Guards Museum at Wellington Barracks in London. To my OWN personal knowledge, there is only one 2/6 in private hands complete, & another in Bovvy. I stand to be corrected. :nut:

Mike.

Mike I tend to agree with you, that was my view when this one cropped up before. With the downgrade as this one clearly has had I take to be a 2/7. I am doubtful that a fancy plate would have been specially manufactured to show this. Ferret 2/6 is implicite that it is operational & fitted with Vigilant & the supporting accessories.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16452-Withams-Auction&p=181990#post181990

I believe the correct designation for this vehicle is actualy a MK2/7. This means it started life as a 2/6 with the Vigalant A/T System fitted. When the Vigi went out of Fashion on the Ferret. they were modified with the removal of the launch boxes from the Turret, & also the spare missle boxes from the side & a spare wheel fitted. The Turret hand traverse mech was left in situ & the Turret hatch left as it was with the bigger hinges. (These were to clear the missile launch perisciope I belive.) all the other SMALL odities such as placement of certain boxes Etc. Were also left alone, if they did not interfere with normal operation the same as a 'Normal' MK2/3.

there is a Similar 2/7 to this outside the Guards Museum at Wellington Barracks in London. To my OWN personal knowledge, there is only one 2/6 in private hands complete, & another in Bovvy. I stand to be corrected. :nut:

Mike.

In that case my opinion of this vehicle is turned on its head. Sounds like a most worthwhile vehicle to own for its oddity value. Until now I was blissfully unaware there ever was a Mark 2/7 but it makes perfect sense, like mating Scorpion hull and Fox turret to create Sabre, functionally identical to Scimitar. It'll catch a few people out at shows.

Hmm. £85,000,000 on the Euromillions tonight. I am so glad I checked earlier that I have a ticket. Gotta be in it to win it. If there is one vehicle I'd like to own, it's a Ferret. With an £85,000,000 firtune I'd even lend it to somebody in here with an open chequebook to do the restoring.

Edited by AlienFTM

In that case my opinion of this vehicle is turned on its head. Sounds like a most worthwhile vehicle to own for its oddity value. Until now I was blissfully unaware there ever was a Mark 2/7 but it makes perfect sense, like mating Scorpion hull and Fox turret to create Sabre, functionally identical to Scimitar. It'll catch a few people out at shows.

Hmm. £85,000,000 on the Euromillions tonight. I am so glad I checked earlier that I have a ticket. Gotta be in it to win it. If there is one vehicle I'd like to own, it's a Ferret. With an £85,000,00 firtune I'd even lend it to somebody in here with an open chequebook to do the restoring.

After looking at the ferret yesterday , its tempting but after sleeping on it ITS BECOME MORE TEMPTING !

I am still only half way through my first ferret , but already I am thinking about another. Its a definite case of FERRETITIS

If it oficially a 2/7 then it is 98% complete, As a 2/6 its sadly lacking !

I had a good look at this one too.

It is a 2/6, not the 2/7 convertion.

And surprisingly they did make a new data plate for 2/7.

It looks like the vigilant kit was completely removed from the turret, but all the other 2/7 hull removals and modifications have not been done.

My guess would be that just the turret mods were done, either because it was going for display, or because the vigilants were removed and fitted to another vehicle.

However, even the turret removals are not to the proper 2/7 spec, so I am guessing it was a local unit/REME removal rather than an official modification.

The missing brackets are quite crude, and luckily well illustrated in the manusls, so a full restoration would not be that hard.

If only Clive still had the vigilants for sale.......

It is a 2/6, not the 2/7 convertion.

And surprisingly they did make a new data plate for 2/7..

Sorry I didn't realise that, fair enough then.

The missing brackets are quite crude, and luckily well illustrated in the manusls, so a full restoration would not be that hard.

I spent quite a lot of time measuring, photoing & studying the 2/6 turret. This was because I was going to construct a replica for the Shorland. It was not until I got the Shorland parts book that it made any sense of the few Vigilant Shorland photos I had.

Now that was crude & entirely different to the relative sophistication of the 2/6. To make a 2/6 with missile cradles needs some ingenuity because it is not just the cradles to make but there is the elevation mechanism, hydraulic missile hold back system, missile firing circuit cut out etc

But you could go pre 2/6 as 2/3 with Vigilant! I have seen some articles that claim to cover 2/6 (& I suspect this also appears in a book) that use FVRDE photos of early Vigilant Ferret trials which predate the 2/6 design. This is certainly crude consisting of angle iron welded to the turret to support the Vigilant bins.

After looking at the ferret yesterday , its tempting but after sleeping on it ITS BECOME MORE TEMPTING !

I am still only half way through my first ferret , but already I am thinking about another. Its a definite case of FERRETITIS

If it oficially a 2/7 then it is 98% complete, As a 2/6 its sadly lacking !

Do it... you know you want too! I might even be able to push you in the direction of someone with the correct Turret (he might not want to sell it though).