B52 x 14 in MITO

ArtistsRifles

Most if not all of us will be familiar with the size of a B52. Not the smallest aircraft on the ground or in the air. The video clip below shows 15 of them taking part in what the US refer to as a MITO (Minimum Interval Take Off). Running time is 9 mins 50 secs. In that time they ship 15 air crews from the alert centre to the aircraft on the apron, spool the engines up and get airborne. Watch the wing tip outriggers lift from the deck as they approach V1 and V2 and watch the one getting airborne at around 5 mins 20 sec.

http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=4632948

Looks impressive, sounds impressive and when you think what the explosive payload of just ONE of the B52's is - it's also very sobering!!!

Oh, you're welcome to fly in one of those, not my idea of fun really.

The one at 5:20 wasn't really 'rolling' at all - looked to me that he was just moving to the left of the flight line as soon as he was off the deck as the following unit was already moving towards his tail. You would expect units in this sort of situation to be numbered and to move alternately left and right as soon as they were up for extra room - sensible in the circumstances.

Oh, you're welcome to fly in one of those, not my idea of fun really.

The one at 5:20 wasn't really 'rolling' at all - looked to me that he was just moving to the left of the flight line as soon as he was off the deck as the following unit was already moving towards his tail. You would expect units in this sort of situation to be numbered and to move alternately left and right as soon as they were up for extra room - sensible in the circumstances.

Hmm - think you are watching the wrong B-52. The one that gets airborne at around the 5 min 20 sec mark performs quite oddly for a plane that size.....