Triumph TRW Tips Required

Triumph925

Dear Guys

I am new to this forum. i have craze about vintage bikes, even my wife know all name of vintage bikes :-) , because i keep looking for them and sometime we fight for that reason. that i am not giving her proper attention :-). i think this usually in married life.

i have Triumph TRW 1952 my first vintage bike. the motorcycle is in restoration process . i need your help on following question.

-- I want to learn how to restore my own bike oneday. so i can do all break/fix myself in future,

from where should i start.

-- I am looking for Piston/Rings for TRW . where i can find geniue parts with good prices.

Thanks & Regards

M.T

Hi MT,

A couple of UK based classic bike dealer's web sites that may be able to help;

http://www.forestclassicsmotorcycles.com

http://www.trisupply.co.uk

Give them a try first, if they dont have the parts you need they may know who can help.

Dont forget, before you start the dismantling process of your restoration, take lots of photos of the bike, showing how all the brackets/bolts/wires/clips etc sit, when you have a box full of the bits you have removed, it isn't always very obvious where they all go!

the TRW is a great bike! Good luck with it

Thanks lot for your valuable help.

I have question if i look at TRW Part list Manual there are following Piston/Rings set which one should i use. or what is best one. i am clueless .

. PISTON COMPLETE

. PISTION COMPLETE 0.020" O/S

. PISTION COMPLETE 0.040" O/S

Thanks

MT

Thanks lot for your valuable help.

I have question if i look at TRW Part list Manual there are following Piston/Rings set which one should i use. or what is best one. i am clueless .

. PISTON COMPLETE

. PISTION COMPLETE 0.020" O/S

. PISTION COMPLETE 0.040" O/S

Thanks

MT

Hi MT,

when you take the cylinder head off the engine, hopefully there should be some faint writing visible (it will be very small). This will tell you what size piston you have fitted, if it says STD this means Standard, ie, the original size piston, this is very good news.

If it says 020, this means the cylinders have been bored out by 0.020 of an inch, and slightly larger pistons and rings have been fitted, this is what O/S refers to (Over-Size). This may have been done because there was a groove found in the cylinder bore, or just the wear was more than an acceptable level.

If it says '040' there is generally no more room for boring out. If there is wear or damage you dont have too many options; New STD cylinder block with STD pistons and rings is needed, or have a pair of liners fitted and bored out back to STD size (I recently had to do this second option). If the damage is only very light you may want to try just honing the cylinders, often a glazed cylinder bore can cause excessive exhaust smoke/high oil consumption.

Something to check, on some smaller engines like this, there may be non genuine 010 and 030 pistons and rings available, best to do some research.

Hope this helps!