shervick

c101 comando

Does T152649, its service number give any further clue as to date?

A little but the numbers were issued in huge batches at the point of order so you can't tie it down very precisely.

T152649 was part of contract number SM 1012 which covered 10,791 Shermans of various models, a large proportion of what the British Army received.

M4A2(75)s were built by five manufacturers with a production run of 8,053 from April 1942 to May 1944. Production reached a peak in December 1942.

Nice one Adrian, 32 minutes to comment on that, I should have known it would be you first, well spotted. Now how about the Technical Details….:-)

Crawfords did have a Valentine tank cut down too, which was still in the yard a few years ago in a sorry state, which I believe a certain Valentine DD owner once had a look at....

I did look at it for running spares (ie plinth it and keep it intact but swap worn or damaged parts off mine) and nearly got the late Mr Crawford (Senior) to agree a price but the current Mr Crawford decided that keeping it and restoring it would be better. It would indeed be a massive job but I understand that the Sherman was in a terrible state before Mr Crawford Senior restored it to running order. I believe that the hull of the Sherman did not last long, the flat plate becoming blade edges for many bulldozer blades over the years. The Valentine is similarly cut down but being thinner metal and being out in the elements longer, it is pretty bad. I undertand that it has not moved since it was switched off after its last job in either 1951 or 1952.

• 12 years later...

An update to this thread I contributed to some time ago. R Crawford's Sherman & Valentine Crawler Tractors made rare appearances and were both on display this weekend at the Carrington Rally, Lincs. The Valentine has been buried in the undergrowth for many years and pulled out just prior to the event for it's public debut:

Sherman Tractor May 23 a.jpg

Valentine Tractor May 23 a.jpg

Valentine Tractor May 23 b.jpg

Valentine Tractor May 23 c.jpg

• Like 3