shervick

c101 comando

after chatting to a few mates we got talking about ploughing engines of the steam kind and my mate said he had seen a shervick at a steam event ploughing.

i said that i did not think a propper shervick had been restored and that there were other types of sherman based tractor i thought one was built in lincs but not to sure .

any ideas chaps

AFAIK no Shervick has been restored. There was a survivior in Belgium a few years ago though I do not know if it was rescued.

As you say, Crawfords use a cut down M4A2 to plough with at shows and there are a few restored Vickers Vigor and VR180s which many people think are tank based though of course they are not.

Dont think there is a Shervick restored, however there is a Sherman that was converted for agricultral use still in existance in Lincolnshire.

It has been shown at some rallies and is owned (I think) by a firm in Boston who deal in all things Filed Marshall

Cant remember their name though

Dont think there is a Shervick restored, however there is a Sherman that was converted for agricultral use still in existance in Lincolnshire.

It has been shown at some rallies and is owned (I think) by a firm in Boston who deal in all things Filed Marshall

Cant remember their name though

It was converted by R H Crawford's at Frithville, who I imagine are still the present owners

There was a survivior in Belgium a few years ago though I do not know if it was rescued.

That was the one in Ostend, I went looking for it but sadly it had been scrapped only two months earlier :argh: I believe that was in 2003. One year later I got a hint with a picture of another one, also in Belgium. Went looking for that one again only to find out that it had undergone the same fate as the oter one - one month before...

And to make things worse, last year I heard about a Vigor in France that was used on a shipyard. Well you can guess what happened to this one...

Keep looking, there are still hidden treasures around!

Marcel

Brooky said:
Just found a picture of it

Found it here? Shermans into ploughshares (mapleleafup.nl) (formerly at http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/ploughshare.htm) 

If so, please list the URL of the source page.

Thanks, Hanno

Sherman Register - Main Page (mapleleafup.nl)

Edited by mcspool

From my experiance in that neck of the woods there wouldn't be much if anything left of them by now :-) Harsh climate - harsh locals, you should see what thay can do to an abandoned car in the bush in a matter of weeks!

I thought you were writing about some of the locals in this country LOL

• 1 month later...

Good to see my piccie of Robert Crawfords Sherman tractor has surfaced yet again :laugh:, and hopefully encouraging people to look at Hanno's Sherman Register website via his link. I did post more photos on this forum on this link:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?42-How-many-uses-for-the-Sherman-Chassis/page2&highlight=Sherman

Jon

• 2 months later...

See http://www.bouwmachinesvantoen.nl/bedrijvenpagina/Nieuwenhuijse%20de%20Braal/Nieuwenhuijse%20de%20Braal.htm for three pictures of a Vickers Shervick in use in the Netherlands back in the 1950s - much to my surprise!

Also of interest are the ex-military vehicles in use for earthmoving, including some dozers which were used to fill gaps in the Scheldt dikes made by Allied bombing in 1945!

Enjoy,

Hanno

50202c20nieuwenhu

• 1 month later...

Further to my previous pics on this forum, Robert Crawfords Sherman M4A2 Tractor made a rare public appearance (first time in 5 years) this weekend at the Carrington Rally, Lincs. Spruced up for the event carrying an additional banner, also with photos of its earlier history on display.

Sherman tractor 1.jpg

Sherman tractor 2.jpg

Sherman tractor 3.jpg

Nice one Adrian, 32 minutes to comment on that, I should have known it would be you first, well spotted. Now how about the Technical Details….:-)

Crawfords did have a Valentine tank cut down too, which was still in the yard a few years ago in a sorry state, which I believe a certain Valentine DD owner once had a look at....

Sherman tractor 4.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder how much it weighs, with no armour, guns ammo???

Info says 20 tons. But info not always that reliable as 1944 El-Alemein battle shows (Maybe it was third battle of El-Alemein, the one they kept quiet about??)

Info board also gives weight of it when it was a gun tank as 35 Tons and that sounds too heavy for a Sherman.

Edited by antarmike

Mike, the numbers are not as useful as allowing a date. They do give info as follows.

C in an octagon indicates manufacturer, in this case American Steel Foundries in Chicago.

E4186 is the Ordnance drawing number

2A 1653 is the part number

LO and BU1176 are the heat numbers indicating grade of steel and final treatment.

It is almost certainly a 1943 built example and the 35 ton weight is, as you say a little heavy, 35 US tons battle weight is right. I doubt it weighs 20 tons now but it must be getting close, that engine pack is 2 tons alone.