Spray guns

Grasshopper

In the next couple of months I am planning to purchase a spray gun to paint our CVRT Scorpion project with. Have been looking on t'internet and there are many varieties including a system called HVLP. Anybody got any advice/recommendations? I will be spraying etch primer and then Nato green then British light stone (whatever those paints are made of).

Vince

There's a lot of info needed to know what would be best for what you would need ,, HVLP = high volume low pressure ,, I take it you'll be using acid etch and two-pack paints , are you working inside ?

I just use normal type spray guns plus the gravity fed type , if using the HVLP type I dare say you'll end up with less airborne particles so less chance of overspray

I will be spraying inside a shed and will be using an acid etch and then military spec paints (I guess water based now).

Chris, I guess you have to pre-mix your paint/thinners and then pour it into the gravity-feed pot. Any advantage of this system over a suction pot? Seems this method could be a bit messy! I assume the gun is easier to handle though.

I notice that Seally do an HVLP gun that is about £90 inc VAT and Clarke do a similar one for about £35. Are Sealy products better?

Not sure how the gravity feed ones work when doing large upsidfe down areas, like the underneath of a military vehicle. Can someone else clarify?

Think you may be best with different nozzle sizes for primer and top coat. Primer tends to be thicker and you can layer it on better with a larger nozzle.

My suction gun is 1.7mm nozzle and tends to block fairly easily when spraying primer.

You compressor will likely govern what sort of gun you can use.

Have you considered the airless type, as Centi is using on the Swiss Ward La France restoration?

All the paint I've recently got for my projects has still been thinned using standard thinners so not water-based.

Edited by Stormin
Wrong type of gun.

Hi, gravity fed is just that and don't like been upside down , , water based paints really need good air-flow to dry also best with heat as in this weather will not dry to well ,, the primers and lacker are two pack type paints , Sealey will be a lot better than Clark parts like the O rings deteriorate ,

Hi Vince I have several spray guns and found a cheap and chearfull one like this very good http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paint-Tool-Spray-Gun-Sprayer-Air-Brush-Airbrush-Alloy_W0QQitemZ300374337714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item45efb4a8b2! The latest gravity fed guns allow you to position the paint reservoir at any angle so they are best for getting in confined space ! I do only use paint supplied by RandR which is diluted with white spirit though ! I've had no problems with O rings so far ! Good luck mate ! :-D

I used HVLP many years ago in my pre-compressor days when we we restored my Series One and found that it worked very well , I would imagine that they are even better now as there seems to be a trend towards using them a great deal more - there is certainly a lot of advertising for them in the trade decorating magazines promoting their use by domestic and trade painters and decorators . Possibly because of the changes to materials in line with the 2010 regs .

My gravity feed gun is somewhere under the bench in the garage where I threw it after it deposited a quantity of paint on an almost completed panel (and possibly still part full of M-F Industrial yellow). Maybe a better quality one wouldn't have leaked but I prefer something with a pot that has a more positive seal .

That gun only has a very small cup capacity, probably classed as a touch-up gun. It'd take a long time to paint a full MV with that having to keep re-filling. Best to have a gun with at least 1 litre capacity for serious painting.

That was just to give an example of the type mate !:-D