Ferrets without side bins

robin craig

One of our Ferrets has a right side escape hatch that has no welded threaded studs to take a side bin.

The vehicle is a bit of a frankenstein having being prepared by a nameles UK dealer to meet a buyers needs.

I am very suspicious of the story that "many didnt have side bins" as quoted by the dealer. I feel it is far more likely that the escape hatch was NOS and slapped onto the vehicle to get it finished and shipped out.

The centre side bins have for quite a while been a rocking horse dropping type item and hence the ruse to cover that up.

I do know some of the BRITFORLEB vehciles are photographed missing their centre bins but not enough detail to see the corresponding hatch.

Comments please?

Robin

One of our Ferrets has a right side escape hatch that has no welded threaded studs to take a side bin.

Robin

Stripping the paint off will expose whether the hatch has been modified with a grinder. Aden and Northern Ireland stand as two likely candidates for bin removal more likely than not for a similar reason IED's / mines.

I agree - many Ferrets didn't have o/s centre bins and many seem to have had no bins at all - quite an unusual look now though! Aden, Cyprus and BRITFORLEB seem the most common place for this - B****y mines!!

A friend bought a Ferret last year that had been completely refurbished by the Army prior to disposal in 1990. Again, it has no o/s centre bin and no sign of one ever having been fitted.

I'm sure I've seen other Ferrets, especially MK 1/2s, with no centre bin and a REME made ladder in it's place.

Peter,

Ferret 2/3, 03 CC 42 (with all bins fitted!)

I'm sure I've seen other Ferrets, especially MK 1/2s, with no centre bin and a REME made ladder in it's place.(with all bins fitted!)

the owner of that one never did establish who fitted the ladder (or the other mods on the vehicle, eg the front "bumper"), as it came from a Belgian dealer and it could have been done by them

the owner of that one never did establish who fitted the ladder (or the other mods on the vehicle, eg the front "bumper"), as it came from a Belgian dealer and it could have been done by them

Is this the one http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=327

They don't hire stuff out like this at my local tool hire centre...

FerretBlack.jpg

Lindsay's Ferret also has a ladder but on the opposite side...

100_2280.jpg

Some Artillery reginents used this type of Ferret for recce

correct, my 1/2 served with 4FD and 25FD, (not really relevant to this thread however)

Firepower have one

which is in a sorry state but has some interesting fittings on the front that I have yet to find an explanation for, there are photos of mine rollers fitted in Cyprus but I remain unconvinced of that on a Mk1/2

and alsoseems to have formed the basis to the Malayan turret fitted job.

no, the Malaysian "collar" has nothing to do with a 1/2, it was purely a local "invention"