Bedford 330 and exhaust pipe

LoggyDriver

I was looking at the exhaust on the Bedford MJ, well the dustbin of a silencer and wondered if anyone has seen a Bedford MJ in service (or out) with an exhaust stack behind the cab, rather than the standard underslung version.

When you look at a Reo with a straight through exhaust, do you think this would make the engine perform better, or worse? Is it better to have back pressure on a diesel?

I was wondering if a custom built silencer that allowed the air to flow more freely would free up some more power? What are your thoughts? ( by the way I've no intention of putting a stack on mine, just wondered why the americans went for the "no silencer" option on their trucks, is/was this for performance?)

Oh my goodness, are you well mate? The M35 and derivatives have a decal on the dash saying "hearing proection required". We have two of them and I hate them because of that exhaust for starters, why would you want all that noise so close to the cab?

Robin

Not looking at doing it to mine Robin. I was wondering why the Americans do it to their trucks and if anyone has done it to a Bedford. The exhaust on the Bedford is a real chunky affair. Lots of weight, size and power sapping silencer. I was wondering if there are power gains to be made putting a stack on with a smaller silencer?

It would have a few benefits. The Bedfords when cold smoke like hell. As the exhaust is at the bottom of the truck the smoke really is a pain for following motorists, a stack up the back of the cab would put this into the air instead. Then you have the fact going up the back would make it a lot more of a simple system, just a flexible section then a straight bit of pipe.

My truck is VERY quiet, more so than my Land Rover. I don't think the noise would be that much more without a silencer or with a more free flowing silencer fitted. The turbo is a low pressure one and you don't hear any whistle, not like the Reo turbo's. I was wondering if there would be increased power without the dustbin fitted. A custom made stainless system wouldn't be that much and sprayed green would last a lifetime.