WW2 Female Russian Snipers

Adam Elsdon

I was reading up on this after seeing that film "Enemy at the Gates" i found the female sniper aspect interesting.

It turns out they were exceptionally lethal to the Germans

309 [inc. 36 snipers] redstar.gif Ludmila Mihaylovna Pavlichenko (54th rifle regiment)

~300 redstar.gif Natalia V. Kovshova and Maria Polivanova (528th rifle regiment) female team

242 redstar.gif Liba Rugova

155 redstar.gif Yekaterina Zhdanova

143 redstar.gif Inna Semyonovna Mudretsova

125 redstar.gif Tatiana Ignatovna Kostyrina (691st rigle regiment)

107 redstar.gif N.P. Petrova

100+ redstar.gif Roza Shanina

Vasily Zaytsev portrayed in the film wasnt bad, but he doesnt top the score board

242 [inc. 11 snipers] redstar.gif Vasiliy Grigorievich Zaytsev (1047th rifle regiment)

But nowhere near the top Russian sniper of WW2

702 redstar.gif Mihail Ilyich Surkov (4th rifle division)

The numbers at the start are for "Confirmed Kills" seems the actual total was far higher in reality.

Anyway here is a picture of the lovely Miss Pavlichenko with the tools of her trade, by my tally 8 female russian soldiers accounted for nearly 1500 confirmed German troops, which is an exceptionally effective fighting force by any means

Pavlichenko.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Not so many as far as i can tell, the Germans, British or Americans didnt take on the Sniper role any where near as seriously as the Russians did, this translated into later doctrine during the cold war the eastern bloc countries had alot of sniper training especially compared with the wests forces.