Pillbox, Horsebridge

Found this some time ago, a Vickers MG emplacement.

e7ff2u.jpg

103eakz.jpg

rlj1tx.jpg

othrgk.jpg

Now they must have been taken in the summer,.........would need yer wellys to get to it, today.........:)

This ones just up the road from me......

Now they must have been taken in the summer,.........would need yer wellys to get to it, today.........:)

This ones just up the road from me......

LeeEnfield, do you know if there is another one in the same sort of area, as I was told there were two but couldnt find it.

there is another one near the dicker roundabout.. head towards eastbourne and its on the field on left hand side of the carraigeway just past the river.. cant miss it

The rule of thumb is, Generally: Pillboxes were contructed in a set of three.

That way, you had interlocking arcs of fire. And each emplacement could cover it's neighbor.:-\

Mike

Unfortunatly I have to correct you there.

Pillboxes were constructed on stop lines to stop advances of enermy forces. You may have just noticed three, they would span in lines following rivers and railways inland.

Some were just constructed in strategic areas to cover bridges and areas of importance.

This is why when you enter a stop line pillbox it has a number for exmple "A274" and they would run in sequence. From memory this is because of the old scale 1" maps could have multiples in close proxy of each other,to enable troops to man the correct one(locating at night etc)

Coastal pillboxes do complement each other with arcs of line of sight as they have one common frontage, but inland it was to stop advances and slow incoming forces.

But no link to groupings of three

hope that helps

Paul

Is this the same box from the first set of pictures>?

Yes it is Paul. But less covered in greenery.

Was going to ask you of you'd been wearing your wet suit. :)

Lol :). You certainly catch the wind there aswell.