Spearhead on TV

jerry.ice

I was stationed in Tidworth 1976 - 77. I recall one murky day walking past a STV unit setting up for a shoot for Spearhead outside (that was a loose term in Tidworth - you could walk right through all the barracks in a row in those days) one of the barracks nearer to town. (Aliwal, ours, was last before the Plain - or first since they were named alphabetically.)

I really don't think it was Assaye, the infantry barracks next door to us (with a battalion of Angle Irons) and it certainly wasn't Bhurtpore, armour, next to them (3RTR I think cos 4/7DG had moved on). Memory suggests it was way down, like Jellalabad way but it was over 30 years ago. Come to think of it, I can no longer remember ANY of the other barrack names.

Nurse! Is it time for me pills yet?

Just caught the end of a series called Spearhead onTV.

Filmed in late 70`s early 80`s. Follows the Wessex Rangers on a posting to Northern Ireland.

A lot of Pigs, Bedfords and Rovers featured.

Filmed by Southern TV, not heard of this program before.

That is a blast from the past!! When was this on and what channel? I used to watch that as a kid along with Pathfinder about WW2 bomber crew.

Paul

I remember Spearhead along with the RAF one "squadron" that was along similar lines. Anyone else remember the "combat" series late 80,s early 90,s hosted by Aneika Rice and Emlyn Hughes. That saw rival Regts competeing against one another???.

A rather naff format. But some good driving sequences featuring recce 90,s. and the odd ferret being hit with a LAW on the ranges.