Hummvee 1026

mark m uk

Here is one I done earlier !

This is the easiest truck I have ever restored, To be honest it was nice to not have to get too involved.

The truck is a 1986 1026 uparmored, armorment carrier - a veteran of Gulf war 1, imported to the UK from Saudi.

It had been registered for civillian use, painted bright yellow and used for eagle hunting in the desert.

It was running when I got it - but badly. I used it for about a year while I sorted out the brakes, steering, wheel bearings, exhaust, electrics - in fact a whole lot of niggleing repairs. Then I had to acquire original seats, seat belts etc, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, having sorted it out mechanically, I crashed it rather hard. Stoved in the bonnet/hood, ripped of the fittings down the sides (mirrors etc) and bent the tail gate.

But, at that point I figured it was a good oppertunity to put it back to military trim.

Just a cosmetic restoration. It involved cleaning off loads of dreadful yellow paint, cleaning the chassis up a bit, and puffing some paint over it. The most demanding task was the bent tailgate.

A fresh hood had to be found for the project, and this one came from 'Black hawk down' - it needed a little work, but turned out just fine.

Here are a few pictures.

Tailgate repair, I cut off the top frame, drilled out the rivets then machined a length of hardwood to the exact dimensions and drove it inside to act as an internal splint. That held it straight while I re-riveted

the two sides and top into place. Then I got our local welder/magician to 'glue' it back together. A little filling,(unfortunately the 'A' and the 'M' took a bash) coat of etch primer followed by CARC.

france08239.jpg

france08241.jpg

hmmwv002-1.jpg

hmmwv018.jpg

Then the hood. It needed rebonding on many of the panel joints. I refitted the aluminium frame from the smashed yellow donor, switched over all the light fittings wireing etc ( boy, arn't those rubber plugs horrible to re-use) repaired the cracks, filled the bits that were missing, and "Carced it good"

hmmwv007.jpg

hmmwv001-1.jpg

hmmwv020.jpg

Edited by mark m uk

I am pleased that my son has been helping with the work.

hmmwv002-2.jpg

hmmwv002-5.jpg

The amount of that filthy red fine desert dust just gets into everything !

hmmwv006-1.jpg

hmmwv002-4.jpg

The paint stripper had limited success, for the most part it just took some yellow not all, and some carc, and some primer.............in short, it made a mess.

hmmwv002-3.jpg

hmmwv004.jpg

hmmwv005-1.jpg

hmmwv001-2.jpg

hmmwv004-1.jpg

Interesting stuff and nice work Mark, nice to see a bit of what is under the skin of one of those.

Thank you, G.i.E,

I agree - the design is quite different to the usual, and very clever.

I guess the idea of pushing the chassis right up high through the centre of the truck, hanging the wheels off stations indipendantly is not that new, but hanging the seat wells off the outside of the chassis clever because it reduces the height again.

Off road - these really do what they say on the tin - and do it well, with comfort.

Nice work and posting, good to see a different vehicle being restored.

Is the top speed of hummers restricted?

Thank you, thanks to Chev and private too.

The data plate orders that top speed is 55 MPH, but no, the top speed isn't mechanically restricted.

The big 6.2 V8, revs like a good 'un, it whips the lightweight aluminium body up to an incredable speed in a matter of seconds.

The wheel/tire combinations are too heavy to be braked at the hub, so they have discs next to the diffs breaking the shafts - no feel at all, its off or on.

Those combinations make for a disaster useing sand tires on wet tarmac at speed................never again will I drive over 30MPH on a wet road in one of these. They really are the absolute dogs gonads on rough terrain, but need to be treated with a lot of respect when they are on the road.

000_1353.jpg