MOT History Check...before buying

Papav66

I'm currently looking for a replacement car and was interested in a couple of vehicles but started to question the mileage & became suspicious.

I first rang the dealerships which were Audi & Volvo and they could confirm when the vehicles were serviced but I noticed large gaps. eg. one vehicle had its last service in 2004 at 56,000 miles yet seller stated mileage was 61,000. A thousand miles a year, pull the other one!

I then tried to find out their MOT history, using the link below the car that had supposedly done 61,000 had in fact done 116,000.

So if you are buying a car or even an MV please do a quick check here so as not to get conned. Its free, just include Vehicle reg, MOT test number and or V5 document ref. But again be warned as one seller quoted a test number that didn't match up, turned out the MOT certificate was a forgery.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/servlet/ECSIDDispatcher

What also surprised me was that on the second vehicle it showed the last 3 MOTs but the mileage on the last test was lower than the other two. I questioned this with VOSA to ask what action they take when mileage decreases and they said none as its not their responsibility!

Little wonder the crooks are clocking vehicles!

BUYER BEWARE!

Is it actually a crime to have mileage decrease from one MOT to the next? They may have had a speedo change.

I would guess its dishonest to sell a car with mileage you know is incorrect, but with older cars a lot of the time you have to make a judgement call by doing what you have done, but also on the condition of the car/engine/interior. Its probably been through so many owners no-one really knows its history.