Hello from Hawick.

harry7134

Hello,

My name is Harry, and I am an exREME VM(A). I retired from the Army in 1983, suffered a heart attack a few years later, and am now officially disabled. However I still retain an interest in old Army vevhicles, and would dearly love to own a White half track, which we used to use as a fitters vehicle, but the wife tells me to grow up!!

The repairs I used to do in the Army were mainly tanks, Centurion, Chieftain and Conquerors. with the odd "dinky toy" thrown in. But since those days the memory cells have become more and more redundant, possibly aided by the copious amounts of alcoholic beverage drunk for anti-freeze purposes.

Thank you for having me.

Harry.

Welcome, Harry,

Northumberland, Durham and the Scottish Borders are some of the best regions in England.

Yes, that's a great ambition, I only ever saw a half track in British Army colours, traversing the roundabout on the old coast road to Whitley Bay in 1960/61 ish , on its way to Debdon Gardens, Heaton, recovery headquarters, it is a sight and sound that has stayed with me ever since!

Keep chasing the dream . I am sure that there are a lot of people on this site who will be really happy to tap into all those years of knowledge.

I have learnt so much since I joined the forum!

Best Wishes,

Mike.

Hello Harry, no doubt someone will be along to tell you how the Clubhouse rules work, once thats out the way, pop around to the POL locker and check out the Single malt antifreeze.

After that, tell the love of your life that you dont want to grow up, and that a White half track really is the way to impress your friends and neighbours! :cool2:

Hi abn duece,

Its a long time since I saw a photo of a converted half track! I used to drive one in Germany, and it was an art form just to avoid hitting things with that jib as it projected nearly twelve feet(nearly four metres) in front of the bumper, added to which there was only a tiny windscreen, about eight inches wide, to see out of.

Having said that, the traction was superb, enough to "bump" start tanks. The major tank assemblies were towed in one ton Sankey trailers. I have gone through a wood, complete with trailer, mud completely over the top of the tracks, in first gear, low box with hand throttle all the way out and no steering, and still not got stuck.

One of the worst things about being the driver was when winching the control of the winch was through the clutch, and as you were too low down to see what was happening, you relied on shouts from the rest of the crew for going up and down, but on a Centurion engine change you could be stuck with your foot on the clutch pedal for hours. And God help you if you were not instantly ready to" go down a gnats".

Oh and as the driver you also had to make the tea and sarnies!

Each vehicle was completely individual to drive, and as they were coming to the end of their service,we could modify as much as we liked.

Some of the mods were; metal roofs, driving seats from Opel Records, four bunk beds in rear, electric shaving sockets, ( courtesy of a voltage converter from some radio), extra batteries for radios, "Workhorse" generators mounted on the outside,individual reading lights on each bunk, racks for carrying fuel and oils, thirty gallon coolant tanks mounted on the front of the roof,and in one case, a petrol cooker with chimney through the roof.

Since we lived in these things for about six months each year, it was sensible to have as many home comforts as possible.

Sorry if I`ve rabitted on, but nostalgia is a powerful spear.

Harry.

I Like the crew modifications to the halftrack, on a lesser scale we used to fit out our hard top FFR landrovers with extra dexion racking above the radios, some of this was to store extra kit, but we used to put a small B+W portable telly in as well, and the whole interior including the roof and sides were covered in carpet in various shades of green, blue or orange blagged from barrack stores, which stopped the condensation, made it alot warmer and made it quieter, if you drop a microphone in the back of a landrover at night, the noise didnt half travel!

Strangely i have never seen a Landrover fitted out like that at shows!