sand blasting...

paulob1

Question

Okay I have never done any, never seen it done and there is no one locallty to tell me how it is done...

I have a good ish compressor or do i need one of those road side ones...i have a small grit blasting gun but guess that will be too small for doing my 432...

So can anyone give me a bit of advice on what to get and how to use it etc etc...what about the grit getting into the engine things like this...I need some advice...

Any advice on how to remove abnout 30 layers of paint from aliminium ?

The 101 ambulance in dire need of a repaint

A good sandblaster will be able to carry out the work, we had one done a few years ago & he did no damage to the metal..

A good sandblaster will be able to carry out the work, we had one done a few years ago & he did no damage to the metal..

I'll have to look round for one then. Any form of hand stripping is really just to much. Better to bite the bullet , pay a proffesional and get it done properly.

Just a word of warning, when blasting thin panels, either in steel or aluminium. Choose an experienced gritblaster who really knows his stuff and what abrasive to use, pressures nozzle size, blasting distance etc. The action of blasting a panel, is the same as hitting it many times with a hammer. Even though they are tiny and light, each particle that hits the panel, peens it on one side only, slightly stretching the surface of one side of the panel only. If not carefully done, the panel will be stretched enough on one side to distort permanently the panel.

I have seen several panels that have either bowed outwards or inwards as a result of the impact of the particles on one side stretching the surface of the metal.

It is avoidable, but make sure your chosen expert can achieve a blasted finish that is distortion free, (ie ask to see examples of thin panels that he has cleaned before commiting a panel to his care, if finding a replacement is going to be difficult if he bu99ers it up)

Edited by antarmike