ww2 radio prices help needed please

David Ives

a friend of mine has come into his possetion a few ww2 radios and needs to know what to ask for them

one looks like the wireless set no 18 from 1940 with original straps

i will try to get photos soon of all the diffrent radios and hopefully be able to give him some ideas of prices from the members on here

he has boxes of all sorts i will be trying to take some photo's tommorow to see if anyone can recognise a few of the radios

these have all come from a gent who was starting a museum but has now died

amongst the stuff is a early 2ww mine detector with all the atachments

also a set of binocular type things with wires:cool2:

It may be worth contacting these folks -

http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/

http://www.dehs.org.uk/index.htm

http://www.vmars.org.uk/

There used to be a good Ex-Signals club behind the TA in Eastbourne too (I grew up down there, and my grandparents were members). It got moved fairly recently, but I don't know where to. They may also be able to give you some pointers.

The 18 set, a small airborne set is the valuable one in the set. Wirles for the Warrior will have illustrations of all the sests. Any HRO's in there? Could the binocular type things be TABBY?

From the description of these Binoc's,..as told to me, don't think they're TABBY.........

Hopfully seeing then somewhen, so will check then......

Andy

hopefully here are the photos and if anyone wants to bid on any contact bj on dmim_jupp@yahoo.co.uk removing the dmi at the front please

be aware he now knows rougthly what no18 and no 19 sets are worth and the mine detector as well

if not working try this link

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll147/david2105_photo/?albumview=slideshow

CNV00007.jpg

CNV00001.jpg

CNV00014.jpg

CNV00042.jpg

Edited by David Ives

The 19 set is a Mk 2 hence Cyrillic writing, value around £300 if it works. The one on its side is a US Walkie Talkie, can't think of model, about £250. the 18 set I'm not going to guess 'Airborne' so stupid. All looks in good nick but does it work?

The 19 set is a Mk 2 hence Cyrillic writing, value around £300 if it works. The one on its side is a US Walkie Talkie, can't think of model, about £250. the 18 set I'm not going to guess 'Airborne' so stupid. All looks in good nick but does it work?

Isn't it a MK3 set

depends on manufacturer, mine is Mk 2 RCA, it has a black info panel on the front. The set has both A and B, later ones had the VHF B set removed. Was originally built for AFV use, short VHF anf the A set for longer range. the other diffrence is the number of pins in the dog bone connector.Do you have arriel tuner etc, and switch boxes?

OK, the 18 set. The black finish is early, the painted finish late. It may be a 68 set, which is late war. The 68 set had letters after the 68 which denoted the wavelength P does Not mean Paratroop, just the wavelength the set covered (I know this is true, as I have the handbook). Canvas cover is rare. Does it have it's complement of aerials around the set?

The 38 sets are Mk2 and were the most numerous British Wireless of WW2. Now uncommon as they were replaced by the 88 set after WW2. Should have a juction box and a webbing carrier with a seperate clip.

I think the 19 set is a Mk3 as it has 3 switches. There should be a power supply and an aerial tuner with it, plus 2 junction boxes (No1 and No2). The B set is intact, which is good, as many had this taken out post-war. Beware if the power supply has a luminous switch, as these are radioactive.

The French/American radio is a BC1000. These were WW2, but the French army started remanufacturing them in the 1960s. Only way of telling is to look inside for English or French writing - American sets are more valuable. British made a similar set in the 1950s, called the 31 set.

Mine detector is American.

The binoculars are definetly Tabby equipment.

Also, if you can put a manual with a set, this will make the item greatly more sellable.

The binoculars are Tabby Type 'E' which puts them from early 1943 onwards. If they are 'RG Binoculars Type 6' that is pre Dec 1942 it makes them extremely rare.

The other unit I suspect is Tabby Type 'O' which is a personal monocular with lamp & batteries. I have never seen one before. Are there any more pics of it? Is that the MoS label still on it?

The value of the Tabby stuff will depend if the image converter tubes CV144 are present & if they are intact. If the tubes are marked 'RG 4' that makes them preproduction & very rare.

Edited by fv1620