WWI Pierce-Arrow?

Rlangham

Spotted this vehicle as a sort of support vehicle on the London to Brighton run on both the Saturday at the Regent Street event, and parked up at Hyde Park Corner on the Sunday morning of the run. Looking at the Bart Vanderveen pre-1940 MV book, there's a photo of a Pierce Arrow which looks similar but mentions 'heavier types supplied to British and French', so maybe this is one of the British and French ones? Probably something only Great War Truck can answer, but thought i'd post it and see if anyone else knew, plus it's a nice truck

width=640 height=480http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5554/piercearrowui9.jpg[/img]

I thought it was Dutch myself - I think it came across with quite a few vehicles from the same collection in Holland (Louweman or something like that, i'll check out the guide later), which has, among others, the 'Genevieve' 1904 Darracq

Crikey! What a suprise, for more than one reason.

You are quite right, it is an R Type Pierce Arrow, which although rated to carry 5 tons, was re rated by the WD as a three tonner. The reason for this is that the Tommys had a habit of overloading these things and the extra 2 tons gives them a little bit of extra room. If they were told that it was a 5 tonner then they would be bound to try and put 7 tons in it.

Very suprising to see it in the UK. It looks like the museum wanted to give it a good outing. Lots of interesting modifications on it, but very nice to see.

My other reason for being suprised is that the day before i saw this post, I arranged for the purchase/salvation of a similar one over here. Sadly it is in not such good condition. I would go as far as to say that this one is a seriously bad case.

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/IMG_0389.jpg[/img]

Apart from the wheels, what is there is in very good condition, depsite having spent the last 40 years sitting out in the open. Better quality steel in those days it seems.

Once the sea of mud that surrounds it subsides this one will be making its way to a secret Dorset address.

The yard has also yielded (amongst many other things) a WW1 FWD and a Riker truck that are now in doors and awaiting restoration.

Tim (too)

Tim (too)