Scammell Pioneer - winch

I am restoring the winch on my Scammell TRMU . The winch has suffered abuse in the form of the wire coming off and jamming up the whole works. In particular two of  the rope packing arms are bent and one is missing the roller assembly at the ends. Does anyone know of a pile of winch parts somewhere or a donor winch ? I can probably straighten the arms but the missing roller assembly is a bigger problem. Any help gratefully received 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Ashcollection said:

I've got one off a Leyland Martian on my "spares" vehicle row/pile/field.

Blimey Ash I should like to see your field !  

Thank you Ashcollection, I will try to attach a photo of the roller assembly. If I fail, my email is simondduff@gmail.com so perhaps we could comms that way - it is just that I haven’t got the hang of this forum, or any forum !

I am in East Devon, where are you ?

Simon

787F33F6-4C1B-4ADE-8D62-5C26604E058B.jpeg

B4FBAF9E-11A6-4BB3-8F2D-75DF269C3F81.jpeg

Thank you Mr Hampton ? Nrhampton. I get confused by names which are not names ! 

Anyway, thank you for your response. I am waiting to see if RICHARD in Norfolk has found what he thinks he may have. In the meantime, what would be the cost of one of your roller assemblies ?  I have straightened  and trued up the arm so only need the rollers.

Where are you , and do you have various other spares ?

Thanks

Simon Duff

I have 5 pioneers in various states one of which is a past repair rolling chassis so have been using it for parts, most of the parts I have are from the chassis rather than cab parts. 
I’m near Southampton so not to far from you I think.

your welcome to the roller I’ll have a look if there is a loose one if not I can take one off.

Neil

Good evening Neil

I have remounted the winch on the chassis leaving the arm missing its roller assembly easily accessible so I can add it in due course. I hope you are able to supply me with one. 

On another matter, my Gardner is fitted with a small diameter 6 bladed fan mounted towards the RH side of the radiator. Perfectly serviceable I am sure but not correct according to pictures in my parts listing. Might you have available the correct 4 bladed, larger fan assembly ? 

Thanks

Simon

10 hours ago, Nrhampton said:

Evening Simon 

I will have a look tomorrow, I’m sure I have a spare fan but will check.

I do have the rollers for the winch I will take some photos tomorrow so you can see the condition.

Good morning Neil, blowing a Hoolie here and I suspect it is worse near Southampton !

Fully understand if you don’t venture out to take photos today unless your scrapper is lucky enough to be inside a shed !

Wonderful if you do have a fan available, my little 6  blader looks silly off centre in the big cowling. The proper fan will need different mounting assembly so if you have that complete I will be very pleased !

Many thanks

Simon

C0EAC172-2D52-4C5A-AC8A-14443955328C.jpeg

On 2/4/2020 at 9:09 PM, Simon D said:

Thank you Mr Hampton ? Nrhampton. I get confused by names which are not names ! 

Anyway, thank you for your response. I am waiting to see if RICHARD in Norfolk has found what he thinks he may have. In the meantime, what would be the cost of one of your roller assemblies ?  I have straightened  and trued up the arm so only need the rollers.

Where are you , and do you have various other spares ?

Thanks

Simon Duff

hi Simon, I've only just got round to looking at the winch and the arm and roller is bent on this one as well, looking at the other posts it looks like you have found one.  

Thank you for responding Richard, I may be “sorted” but will note that you could have a roller assembly. I have straightened and trued up my bent arms so should be ok there.

I was interested to read your response to the thread about difficulties which might be put in the way of our enjoyment of our hobby/interests. You must have a hell of a big shed to house 70 plus units ! Hence the name “ Ashcollection “ !

Best Wishes

Simon D

The winch is looking good I went through the same pains about two months ago and now on to wood work for the back.

I still have the rear axle to free up and sort but keep putting it off.

i have a complete fan though will probably need the bearings replaced and your right I didn’t venture out for photos today will try tomorrow.

17 hours ago, Simon D said:

Thank you for responding Richard, I may be “sorted” but will note that you could have a roller assembly. I have straightened and trued up my bent arms so should be ok there.

I was interested to read your response to the thread about difficulties which might be put in the way of our enjoyment of our hobby/interests. You must have a hell of a big shed to house 70 plus units ! Hence the name “ Ashcollection “ !

Best Wishes

Simon D

hi Simon, no problem, most of us on here are engineers or closely related to the "art form" so have a pretty pragmatic approach to the future, personally I see a whole load of opportunities, ok shows might be fewer and smaller, but we will still do our thing, as long as we are helpful to the changing situation and don't become a load of stick in the mud luddites, it will be ok, if we don't then the general public will turn against the hobby.

• Like 1

That looks fine thanks Neil. The important parts are the axle, the roller bearings and the brass end caps. I can clean up the rollers easily enough even if I loose abit of diameter.

I am looking forward to seeing a photo of the fan and mounting bracket if that is possible.

I have got the winch onboard and bolted in place. Next job will be the serving gear . I do enjoy working on this equipment as it is all so substantial and well made !

Thank you

Simon

Thank you Neil, that is good news. Well, I would like to purchase the items from you so I need to know the cost ! And especially would you be prepared to send by Parcelforce or carrier ?. I can send funds direct to you bank account if that is best for you.

My email address is simondduff@gmail.com which you should use for any sensitive information.

Thank you

Simon