Sankey wide track trailer

Hello everyone I am brand new to this site this is my first post and thought I would start on my sankey wide track trailer chassis restoration yesterday I removed the tub wich seemed like a easy job at first until I came across the 6 tie down points in the back are not bolts or pins securing them but rolled up sheet metal ! These where very awkward to remove but got their in the end now I am going to start sanding and priming the chassis step by step before the final paint job ! Hopefully all goes well many thanks Thomas 

F096F200-1CB0-4249-A60F-C052CF6DE579.jpeg

91CC1B6E-7331-42AC-B217-85E1038838A2.jpeg

F1A8A14E-79FF-4362-A804-F8293AD87743.jpeg

EC7FDF04-9EA6-407E-8C0E-726E8F5B87C5.jpeg

7 hours ago, Down and beyond said:

I hope so also mate he passes the tools down into the pit to me all the time he knows he sockets at 5 so all good so far 

I tried that , then I was far too generous with mountain bikes & have never seen them since.

You are a Mk.3  (hydraulic disc braked)  ,  probably made by  Reynolds-Boughton , Viking or Universal Engineering (South Dorset Engineering).   Possibly you could show a photograph of the plate(s) on A frame ?   Just the odd difference between them , obscure fittings on wiring harness.   History of full range  - I forget exactly - ISTR  Mk.1 were upgraded to Mk.2 spec. and all made by Arrow Construction Equipment. These were drum braked - more like  'narrow-track'  .         IIRC of all the W.T.  Mk.  there were actually  5 manufacturers before the Penman type,  the most RARE of all being the  King - that actually had  KING  embossed in the drop tailgate,  the number made was very low abt. 6 or 8.

There was the Paratow , I am now uncertain of the Mk. they manufactured.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

OK   ,   mine at A frame (nearside)  has a similar nomenclature plate  + strike-off plate.

The alloy nomenclature plate has much more info.  inc.  NSN etc.   The way the trailer is stored - access at that side is poor but I have managed in part and jotted down some of the main bits.  I have photographs but that computer hard drive packed in - will try and take replacement pics. as I doubt if ever I can recover.

It actually states the maker as -  Reynolds Boughton  & Ser. No. 43433

Contract is a bit earlier than yours  -  LV1A55

FV2381

The actual trailer  vrm  is  88KK35

-----

The offside has a additional plate (hear the jockey wheel bracket) , that seems brass

Reynolds Boughton, Amersham, Bucks England.

Ser. 43433

-------------------------------

I would have expected yours to have had a additional makers plate as limited info. on the nomenclature plate .  Keep looking , may have been knocked off & you could have primer painted over sheared rivets , may need a close inspection for small holes / rivet ends  ?

This is just a little complex , due to types of mix available

The proper finish now is what is known as  CARC  ,  the previous IRR finish is no longer available.

The paint of near correct colour is readily available , in differing quality - you don't need the CARC or IRR contents.

You need  -   British Standard BS381 285 - NATO green

• 2 weeks later...