Help - Army Camp Building Lettering/Codes

Jessie The Jeep

I need some help with some lettering on some military buildings, on what was an Anti-Aircraft Ordnance Depot. 

The only photos I can provide are from the gallery of the website about the camp - http://boldoncamp.co.uk/gallery.html 

On the pillars on the front of the buildings, are a black square with a single or double letter code in white. Picture 8 in the gallery is FH, picture 10 is KH, picture 11 is PH and enlarging picture 15, the far pillar appears to have the single letter G.

Do these codes stand for anything that went on within the building, or are they just letters to identify the buildings within the camp, to aid those working there find the right building?

It may pay you to have a drive around Stainton Grove Camp & Streatlam / Barford Camp , although much demolished & remaining new or gentrified as Trading Estate or is it Business Park.   I doubt if any WW2  / Korea era signage remains at Deerbolt Camp but you would need a get into prison card there.

Hardly anything period remains at Gallowfield Ind.Estate at Richmond , that was interesting as the bricks were laid wrong way to get more yardage.  Outlying Barracks etc. at Catterick that had just stood from abt. 1970 were dropped around 1995.

Looking at the photo of the "FH" building it looks (at least on my phone) that the black square could be painted on top of some of the graffiti. When I look at the rest of building, it is strange that the square isn't more covered with graffiti if the square was there first. Also, looking at the condition of the brickwork, doesn't the black square and white of the F & H appear too good to be contemporary with the building's military history.

24 minutes ago, MatchFuzee said:

Looking at the photo of the "FH" building it looks (at least on my phone) that the black square could be painted on top of some of the graffiti. When I look at the rest of building, it is strange that the square isn't more covered with graffiti if the square was there first. Also, looking at the condition of the brickwork, doesn't the black square and white of the F & H appear too good to be contemporary with the building's military history.

Looking at all the pictures these letters we are puzzling over appear on top of the graffiti, has anyone asked the owner?

Also if the site is for sale, I don't know if it is, are these to identify plots for sale

It's not currently for sale.

Another thought. These are older pictures. Present day graffiti is certainly on top of the black squares. However, at some point in its recent history, I believe the site was used by a paintballing club. I wonder if they added codes to the buildings to assist in their wargaming.

1 minute ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

It's not currently for sale.

Another thought. These are older pictures. Present day graffiti is certainly on top of the black squares. However, at some point in its recent history, I believe the site was used by a paintballing club. I wonder if they added codes to the buildings to assist in their wargaming.

The paintballing link looks very promising but is it possible to follow up?

With the present day graffiti on top of the black square it must be very unlikely that the square and letters are original unless the paintballers repainted them but I guess that you and others have thought of that already. 

I worked on a government site near Heathrow and all our buildings had 2 letter codes. ZA,DA,HA, etc.  The letters bore no relationship to their use and didn't seem to be based on any grid so we never knew how they were labelled.  They had certainly been there for some time as the site was in use during the war

• Thanks 1