Rapier Launcher Trailer

I’m still trying to complete my Rapier Launcher, need to find a ‘Screamer’ generator next.

one question I have is about registration numbers. All military trailers have their own number, usually stamped on the chassis plate.  

I can’t find a chassis plate on mine with a number on it, were these trailers issued a number or did they carry the tow vehicles number?

2883ABD5-B879-42F7-A0F4-BFB71861A039.jpeg

3E3DEC5A-5755-4F0B-8E2A-58B812472DAD.jpeg

I looked at one of these trailers a while ago and couldn’t see a chassis plate on it either. Not sure if they had them, you would think it would some where?

The trailer I saw had the army reg stencilled on the side of the tow A frame.

Depending on when/how it was painted you might be able to see signs of it?

• 3 weeks later...

I got to view a few of the FSA and Blindfire trailers of 12 AD Regt at Thorney Island that were stored in the caravan park. Blindfire had a 08BX14 serial stamped on to the plate on the top of the a frame just behind the towing ring The FSA had a similar plate that was blank, but from memory had a very faint and faded TM serial number stencilled on to the a frame in yellow.

A few photos for clarity!

20180915_144853.jpg

20180915_145055.jpg

20180915_144844.jpg

• 1 month later...

On Saturday I took another look at the launcher and blindfire. I took a few photos using someone elses phone (smashed the camera on mine) so am awaiting the images to be sent to me.

I just wanted to clarify that I have not found any Equipment Registration Mark on the launcher. In an earlier post I said that I thought I had seem a TM serial number there. I now think that may have been on the launcher that Trinity Marine have for sale as that is clearly stencilled on the side of the a frame. I did have a thorough search for you.

• 4 months later...

Hi Webly

I was involved in the design and development of the Rapier system from 1964 to 1991 eventually being the designer of the electrical power generating units for FSA/B, Tracked and FSC.

I inherited the design of the FSA/B unit that was subject to virtually all of it being modified to make it useable in service. Unfortunately there was not much that could be done to reduce the audible noise that the alternator drive belt produced. We did design and demonstrate noise reducing air intake and exaust ducts but they very much comprimised the cooling system so were never put into production.

The trailer lighting bar was part of the GSGE and was also completely redesigned, as was the lifting/spreader bar fitted to it. As far as I know the trailer registration numbers were a MOD job and the bars were supplied with  blank no plates.

I have a very good GSGE that at present is not operable, in addition the Bristol Aero Collection has a GSGE that is in very poor condition and may be up for disposal later this year.

I also have an externally complete FSC Launcher and 8 drill missiles .

Brian Blestowe

Hi Brian,

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but I'm restoring a Land Rover 127 Rapier, the restoration thread is on EMLRA

https://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14673

You may need to create a login and password to access.

I'm looking for the racking system that fits in the back (probably the first thing that was removed when they were demobbed). It's a long shot but if anyone following this thread has any leads on where I might find the racking, please get in touch.

Shaun

On 2/7/2020 at 12:05 AM, nasraf said:

Hi Webly

I was involved in the design and development of the Rapier system from 1964 to 1991 eventually being the designer of the electrical power generating units for FSA/B, Tracked and FSC.

I inherited the design of the FSA/B unit that was subject to virtually all of it being modified to make it useable in service. Unfortunately there was not much that could be done to reduce the audible noise that the alternator drive belt produced. We did design and demonstrate noise reducing air intake and exaust ducts but they very much comprimised the cooling system so were never put into production.

The trailer lighting bar was part of the GSGE and was also completely redesigned, as was the lifting/spreader bar fitted to it. As far as I know the trailer registration numbers were a MOD job and the bars were supplied with  blank no plates.

I have a very good GSGE that at present is not operable, in addition the Bristol Aero Collection has a GSGE that is in very poor condition and may be up for disposal later this year.

I also have an externally complete FSC Launcher and 8 drill missiles .

Brian Blestowe

Would you be able to post on here if you see one come up for disposal. A poor one is better than non. Depending on costs of course

• 1 month later...