Mechanic / Advice Zil 131

Any fellow Zil owners out there? 

I am getting an engine /  coolant over heat light when i use the truvk for more than around 20 mins. Then the engine cuts out. 

Theory 1 -  faulty sensor 

Theory 2 -  faulty water / coolant pump 

Anyone got any thoughts and if you agree -  do you know where I could source these parts please? 

Thanks, 
Will 

1 hour ago, WillH_zil131 said:

I am getting an engine /  coolant over heat light when i use the truvk for more than around 20 mins. Then the engine cuts out
Anyone got any thoughts and if you agree -  do you know where I could source these parts please? 

Try here......__

http://www.russianmilitary.co.uk/about-us.php

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 weeks later...

I  have never had a zil stop because of an overheating light...when it stops does it just die and no amount of pressing the throttle works...does it restart easily once it is cold, is she actually overheating.  

have you checked the usual things fan belt tightness is the water pump actually working, is there pressure in the water system..headgasket common fault once you overheat them...is she leaking water when she overheats...

when you run her for 20 minutes is this stationary or whilst driving her...

is the hand brake locked on are there any other funny smells...is the oil pump filter running, you hear it running after the engine stops...

have you checked for water in the oil...

is the water going down during use..but not leaking, ie head gasket...

should add once the engine has overheated you will have very vey likely warped the head, very easy to do and there is no room whatsoever to skim them at all, although I suppose you could skim it and then fit two head gaskets...does it have antifreeze in here...the common leak area is the heater pipes for the petrol under engine heater...remove it if you can it can be a real pain if not used...

• 3 weeks later...

Take the thermostat out try that .       Fanbelt etc

Back flush the radiator by taking it out flush by turning the radiator upside down

Head gasket can be checked by removing the pressure cap{ when cold] running the engine till hot and looking for bubbles in the water or water in the oil

If not head gasket it could be crud in the water jacket holes blocked radiator with egg  yokes/ crud to stop leaks

LAURENCE 

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 12:01 PM, WillH_zil131 said:

Hi Will,

I have one doing the same! I'll give the rad a flush 1st, but as its been standing and the water is very rusty, I'm also looking at getting the rad re-cored. Did you / have you made any progress?

Mine is deff overheating, It's chucking the coolent out.

Regards

Chris

On 2/1/2019 at 12:01 PM, WillH_zil131 said:

I am getting an engine /  coolant over heat light when i use the truvk for more than around 20 mins. Then the engine cuts out. 

Theory 1 -  faulty sensor 

Theory 2 -  faulty water / coolant pump 

Thanks, 
Will